1 lb. LP gas cylinder question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most accurate method is to weigh it. Gross and net weights should be marked on the cylinder.

I do this all the time with my little, 100 gram iso-butane canisters before heading out into the woods. If the canister is low on fuel I re-fill it from a larger (cheaper) iso-butane canister using an adapter. You can do the same with your one pound propane cylinders and save money.

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to do that, but thanks. I'm doubting anyone makes them after Googling for awhile. Still, there ARE a lot of those l lb. cylinders sold. Maybe I could use a regular LP gauge and make note of where the needle is on the gauge when full?

Last edited:
These gauges rely on pressure and unless you keep your propane cylinder where the ambient temp is pretty constant you can get inconsistent readings, especially from a tiny one pound cylinder.

For slow cooking and not having to check the flame, ya. I could start with a new cylinder, which is what I do. However, I end up with partially full cylinders lying around.

Last edited:
Are you concerned about running out of fuel in the middle of a cook?

I'll save those near empty ones for doing a couple of hamburgers or kabobs. If a company designed a gauge for just 1 lb. cylinders, I'd be tempted to buy one. It might not be possible for the level gauge to be accurate on such a small container, like you said. Still tho...they probably could make one designed with 1 lb. LP cylinders in mind. Yes?

Last edited:
If portability is not important, with hose and adapter, you can use a larger propane tank instead.

That's probably why they don't make such a gauge for 1 lb. cylinders. I'd just thought I'd ask. I don't BBQ that often and buy 1 lb. cylinders of LP. I still don't see why they don't make one for $9.99. :cool:

I'd buy one, just out of laziness, for $9.99. Buy one get another free, just pay separate shipping and handling. :LOL:

There are millions of 1 lb. LP cylinders sold each year. ;)

Nevermind...hahaha.

Last edited:
I use them on the heater for our golf cart in the winter. If you have an empty one and a full one, it's easy to tell how much you have. As Roadfix said, use your kitchen scales and you can tell exactly how much you have.

I only use this size cylinder to lite my chimney or jet cooker. Although we have a two burner Coleman stove in our hurricane supplies, we have never used it.

Back
Top Bottom