"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver View Post
ya know, i'm just going to go out on a limb here...it seems to me that the location of the smokerbox UNDER the grill isn't too terribly different at all from an inch above, i.e., on top of the grill grate. so, you think if you couldn't find this product in your area, you could just make yourself a similar doo-hickey by dropping some wood chips +/- water into a washed out tin (like the sort that previously held tuna or sardines...something long & low, not a tall can), then covering the top with perforated foil? in the enclosed environment of the grill, it'd get all smoky in there anyway. and you wouldn't have to worry about how much "crud" is on your grill, or cleaning out the smokerbox afterwards!
You could also just make a pouch out of aluminum foil filled with wood chips and poke holes in the top. Then lay the pouch directly on the coals. The aluminum foil easily stands up to the heat, and the wood, even if it is dry, can only smolder because of restricted oxygen flow. You get lots of smoke and no flames with this.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Master Chef

I couldn't find it while out today, so I am going to try the foil method. We have an apple tree on our front parkway that needs trimmed up to encourage top growth, so I will use that wood to smoke with.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
ah, redgriller, THAT's what i'm talking about! i love the idea of a little smoker pot in my grill (when i want things to be smoky, of course), but i have a distinct aversion to kitchen-gadgets. with a room full of drawers overflowing with little devices to each do only one individual task, i'd never find anything! a box of aluminum foil, though, that i can find with no problem.

hmm, where do you buy wood chips to fill your tin/foil/smokerbox up with?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
ah, redgriller, THAT's what i'm talking about! i love the idea of a little smoker pot in my grill (when i want things to be smoky, of course), but i have a distinct aversion to kitchen-gadgets. with a room full of drawers overflowing with little devices to each do only one individual task, i'd never find anything! a box of aluminum foil, though, that i can find with no problem.

It's all one pack. Tin of chips and small smoker box.

Granted, aluminum foil with chips inside and holes poked. That still makes for somewhat a retrieval process and messing with the same the next time. Fine, any type small tin will do, along with a doughnut magnet that can be had.
I paid $9 for a tin of chips and smoker box that should last me 2 years.

Either way will do.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:

You can get wood chips from Wal-Mart or a home improvement store. They are small bags full of shredded pieces of wood (different from the large bags of chunks). Just wrap 'em up, poke holes, and lay on the coals. You can also find smoke pellets (compressed wood saw dust in the shape of a pellet/pill) to use with the foil as well, but they are getting harder to find.

Then day after, when you clean the grill, just throw the foil pack away. No mess or clean up.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
Cook

Here are the pellets.
Here is a typical bag of shredded wood pieces.

Here's a little how to on the foil pack. I typically wrap mine a little tighter, but you can get the idea how it works from this.