Anyone familiar with the Big Green Egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Anyone out there have one of these? It says that you can use this smoker and use only a couple pounds of charcoal for hours of smoking. I might go look at one this weekend. Thanks!:)

A buddy of mine has one and it is outstanding!! I've never cooked with it since it is his but I've eaten the results many time.

They work with less charcoal because the ceramics in the grill absorb all the heat while the charcoal is hot and then release that heat over the long cooking time.

There are many ways to cook your food outdoors. I would describe the egg as a slow cooker rather than a smoker or a grill. I believe it will do those jobs too but it is designed to cook your meats over a longer period of time.

There is a page is the latest fine cooking. I'll go find it and give you some info. They say it is worth owning.

This page long article pretty much just boasts about how great it is. There is also some details about the egg, but I'm sure you already know those. The guy said he used it all winter taking it from below 0F to 700F without any problems.
"I wanted something that could pump smokey campfire flavor into food. I also wanted something that could crank out kiln-type temperatures for fast searing or be dialed down to a slow bake for whole turkey" "It has not been a disappointment."
He also recommends a digital thermometer so you don't have to lift the lid and loose the smoke. Next time your at the grocery store, take a look at this July issue of fine cooking. Article is on page 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
BGE and Primos are both outstanding cookers, can be used low and slow or sear a steak at 800º. They use very little fuel but it must be lump charcoal.

Primo gave 5 of there cookers that i competed on for 3 years, The Oval give much cook area than a large BGE for about the same money.
Jim

Been cooking on the Big Green Egg for a while and got rid of all other grills. I sear steaks at 750 degrees and do my prime rib slow and low at 225-250. Whole turkey, chickens, lamb all worked out perfectly. A 20 pound bag of hardwood lump charcoal lasted several months.
Aloha from paradise

My niegbhor swears by his. I had the chance to fire it up this past memorial day weekend, I am in love, and want one. It is a little smaller then I am acustomed too, but the duration of heat retention, and it's multitasking abilities out wiegh the negs(cost and size) IMO.

Aloha, Tattrat:

You can deal with the smaller size easily by doing a double decker. Never had the need since I only cook for two regularly, but never had a problem with big crowds. A 20 pound turkey, two or three chickens, an eight pound prime rib, a huge ham, none caused me any grief.

The price for the unit is high, but is cheap in the long run since it will last 50 years or more.

Indirect grilling works perfectly, pizzas turn out fab, smoking is easy. Tonight we had hungarian sausages and grilled zuccini.

One of our considerations was the fact that a 20 pound bad of (BGE) charcoal lasts for months. I have several in reserve since bad weather can knock out our electricity for many days on this small island. You cannot refill propane tanks without elictricity.

Who's the cute kid on your picture?

Aloha from paradise, Hartwin

Big Kahuna said:
Aloha, Tattrat:

You can deal with the smaller size easily by doing a double decker. Never had the need since I only cook for two regularly, but never had a problem with big crowds. A 20 pound turkey, two or three chickens, an eight pound prime rib, a huge ham, none caused me any grief.

The price for the unit is high, but is cheap in the long run since it will last 50 years or more.

Indirect grilling works perfectly, pizzas turn out fab, smoking is easy. Tonight we had hungarian sausages and grilled zuccini.

One of our considerations was the fact that a 20 pound bad of (BGE) charcoal lasts for months. I have several in reserve since bad weather can knock out our electricity for many days on this small island. You cannot refill propane tanks without elictricity.

Who's the cute kid on your picture?

Aloha from paradise, Hartwin

Mahalo(*sp), LOL, the kid is just a random shot from a member of a site I am a moderator on...silly but funny.

Thanks for more info on "The Egg", I sense I will have one in my not to distant future:) .

Nice to meet another Islander, I'm from Bermuda, the "Hawaii of the Atlantic."

Last edited:
"The best smoker in the world" they told me. I just had to go check one out after reading this thread - and I WANT ONE! I would have bought it on the spot - but the large one goes for $899.00 USD here assembled and delivered!:eek: I really hope you get one though...

MJ, try your local specialty smoking store. I went to their website to find an authorized dealer. They said that sometimes they'll sell the display model for a discount. I still want one, maybe some day.:)

htc said:
MJ, try your local specialty smoking store. I went to their website to find an authorized dealer. They said that sometimes they'll sell the display model for a discount. I still want one, maybe some day.:)
Thanks for tip Htc. Maybe we can buy one together and keep it at my house?:LOL:

hahaha, I'd go through withdrawls! :) I read on BGE forums that some lucky people find theirs in their back yard. I tried finding a used one but no such luck. I'm going to keep looking. For now, my Brinkmann will have to do.

Yep, fergman04, for home use they are the best, for larger groups you need several or something big. The ease of temperature control and extremely low fuel consumption make it perfect even for the inexperienced cook.

We use ours three or four times a week.

Aloha, Hartwin

I bought one of these for my Dad probably ten years ago. It takes awhile to get used to controling/ maintaining the temperature - but being ceramic it seriously holds the heat. (Also - it weighs A LOT so don't give yourself a hernia moving it around). :rolleyes:

A friend of mine uses it specifically like a charcoal grill and it works great as well. I think the best way to use it is as a SLOW cooker.

They are seriously almost indestructible.

I did a quick search on eBay and found a few listed for a lot less than $899.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...kr=1&from=R8&satitle=Big+Green+Egg&category0=

Hope this is of some help.

I recieved my Large Big Green Egg as a Christmas gift this past year. I work at a store that specializes in Custom Outdoor Kitchens, had my pick of grills and still chose the Big Green Egg for my own home. For anyone wondering if there really is a difference in food with the Big Green Egg, read on... I have not eaten anything but poultry or seafood for over 7 years. I still grilled beef, lamb and pork for other members of my family and friends through the years. I never had any cravings whatsoever. Once I started cooking with my Egg, the meat was looking and smelling intriguing. Long story short after much soul searching and inner pondering I grillied a lovely boneless pork chop on my Egg this past Sunday and boy was it yummy!!! I still will continue to eat mainly fish and poultry, but the Egg drove me to enjoy meat again. That is how fantastic the Big Green Egg is. Flavors and textures are superior to ANY grill on the market! I am proud to call myself an "Egghead"! Thank You Big Green Egg.

Always better on an egg

I've been grilling, roasting, smoking, baking on the Egg for 3 years or so at least twice a week.....I love the thing.
Look at it like long term investment cause it won't rust out :)

Back
Top Bottom