"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
Head Chef

Question Anyone familiar with the Big Green Egg?

Anyone out there have one of these? It says that you can use this smoker and use only a couple pounds of charcoal for hours of smoking. I might go look at one this weekend. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Never heard of them! Interesting concept to have a ceramic case that holds the heat.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

EXPENsive and small. I think there are better smokers/grills.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Cook

A buddy of mine has one and it is outstanding!! I've never cooked with it since it is his but I've eaten the results many time.

They work with less charcoal because the ceramics in the grill absorb all the heat while the charcoal is hot and then release that heat over the long cooking time.

There are many ways to cook your food outdoors. I would describe the egg as a slow cooker rather than a smoker or a grill. I believe it will do those jobs too but it is designed to cook your meats over a longer period of time.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Executive Chef

There is a page is the latest fine cooking. I'll go find it and give you some info. They say it is worth owning.

This page long article pretty much just boasts about how great it is. There is also some details about the egg, but I'm sure you already know those. The guy said he used it all winter taking it from below 0F to 700F without any problems.
"I wanted something that could pump smokey campfire flavor into food. I also wanted something that could crank out kiln-type temperatures for fast searing or be dialed down to a slow bake for whole turkey" "It has not been a disappointment."
He also recommends a digital thermometer so you don't have to lift the lid and loose the smoke. Next time your at the grocery store, take a look at this July issue of fine cooking. Article is on page 30.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks Corazon!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Senior Cook

BGE and Primos are both outstanding cookers, can be used low and slow or sear a steak at 800º. They use very little fuel but it must be lump charcoal.

Primo gave 5 of there cookers that i competed on for 3 years, The Oval give much cook area than a large BGE for about the same money.
Jim
Old 05-31-2006, 02:58 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Big Kahuna
Been cooking on the Big Green Egg for a while and got rid of all other grills. I sear steaks at 750 degrees and do my prime rib slow and low at 225-250. Whole turkey, chickens, lamb all worked out perfectly. A 20 pound bag of hardwood lump charcoal lasted several months.
Aloha from paradise
Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 AM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
My niegbhor swears by his. I had the chance to fire it up this past memorial day weekend, I am in love, and want one. It is a little smaller then I am acustomed too, but the duration of heat retention, and it's multitasking abilities out wiegh the negs(cost and size) IMO.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Big Kahuna
Aloha, Tattrat:

You can deal with the smaller size easily by doing a double decker. Never had the need since I only cook for two regularly, but never had a problem with big crowds. A 20 pound turkey, two or three chickens, an eight pound prime rib, a huge ham, none caused me any grief.

The price for the unit is high, but is cheap in the long run since it will last 50 years or more.

Indirect grilling works perfectly, pizzas turn out fab, smoking is easy. Tonight we had hungarian sausages and grilled zuccini.

One of our considerations was the fact that a 20 pound bad of (BGE) charcoal lasts for months. I have several in reserve since bad weather can knock out our electricity for many days on this small island. You cannot refill propane tanks without elictricity.

Who's the cute kid on your picture?

Aloha from paradise, Hartwin