"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Head Chef

Anyone used a Weber rotisserie?

Anyone have any experience with the Weber 2290 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie? Link

I can see lots of possibilities for this. I have used my Weber kettle a lot, but this seems like it would expand my grilling repertoire quite a bit. What do you think?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

There are some advantages to a rotisserie. You can cook and baste large items like chickens and turkeys without repeatedly opening the grill and losing heat.

However, I can't think of anything you NEED a rotisserie to cook on the Weber.

You're just going to have to justify this purchase on the basis that it's a cool new toy.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There are some advantages to a rotisserie. You can cook and baste large items like chickens and turkeys without repeatedly opening the grill and losing heat.

You're just going to have to justify this purchase on the basis that it's a cool new toy.
Thanks, Andy, for the reality check. It's true that I can think of few things I can't cook on the Weber, and none of those are magically made possible with the rotisserie. I still may get it, just to play. Too bad, though, that you couldn't tell me I need this toy--um-- grilling essential!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
Thanks, Andy, for the reality check. It's true that I can think of few things I can't cook on the Weber, and none of those are magically made possible with the rotisserie. I still may get it, just to play. Too bad, though, that you couldn't tell me I need this toy--um-- grilling essential!

You absolutely have to get this piece of equipment. The very existance of mankind hangs in the balance. I'm available to taste test your first efforts. Just dial 1-800-Eat-4Free.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
You absolutely have to get this piece of equipment. The very existance of mankind hangs in the balance. I'm available to taste test your first efforts. Just dial 1-800-Eat-4Free.
I knew it!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Head Chef

I love mine! It takes the indirect cooking of a Weber kettle up to another level, with the entire surface of the meat getting equally crispy.

I use it mostly on fattier cuts, like chicken wings (I got the basket attachment), duck, and leg of lamb. I've also done a prime rib and a pork loin, but it offends me shove a spit through the middle of those pieces of beautiful meat.

The kettle does an excellent job of indirect cooking, so a rotiss is NOT really necessary. But I wouldn't give mine up!

Lee
Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks for the input, Lee. I haven't seen the basket attachment; I'll go alooking!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I love my mine also. It is fabulous for prime rib, it actually cooks faster and tastes better. it is also good for a small turkey, and whole chickens. I brined a 13lb turkey and cooked it on mine. WOW was it good n juicy
Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Schweinshaxe!

Index of /schweinshaxen
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I'm definitely a big fan of this rotisserie. Everything we have made on it has been really juicy and perfectly cooked.