"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I've been grillin', smoking for many years, and of all the grills and smokers that have come and gone, my basic Weber charcoal kettle grill has been my favorite.

While you would'nt want it to use it to smoke a brisket or a shoulder, it is absolutely indispensible for steaks and burgers etc.

I am presently in the market for a new smoker as well as a new gas grille(you can't beat the convenience) but I will never part with my Weber.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #22
Head Chef

i love my 22" weber ...
it is my go to grill and has outlasted many of my neighbors
grills ..

Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #23
Head Chef

I am a charcoal person and of the two choices I would go with the Weber.

That being said, I dearly love my Char-Broil grill!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
Master Chef

Weber all the way. The only drawback to starting out with a smaller less complex one is that when you get ready to upgrade to a top of the line, your current one will have found a place in your heart and be as good as new. Makes it hard to let go of em. Maybe shop around and see if you can get that top of the line one cheaper somewhere else.
I have a fold-down weber charcoal, and even though I am ready to upgrade to a nicer one with combo cooking surfaces and side grills, cabinets etc, my charcoal one is still in perfect shape after 8 years.
I have to find a good home for it first, and justify why it should be replaced at all to DW who is a bottom line money driven kinda gal. Maybe we should start a 'find a home for used Webers' web site. Kind of a rescue shelter thing for them, LOL.
"Needing good home...."
Old 04-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Hmmmm.....I know the original post is quite old but, If I had $800 to spend on a grill I would get a gas grill and a smoker/charcoal grill.

There are alot of good grill manufacturers out there, Weber, Ducane, DCS etc. Design and materials are most important. Stainless steel burners are a must, and I prefer the SS grates to the ceramic ones for longevity. Two people I know have had the ceramic coating deteriorate over time.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

You can get a Weber gas grill and a Weber Smoker for $800.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #27
Master Chef

That is what I need, I don't have a smoker right now and would love one!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Had a Warm Morning with cast iron grates and burner for over 20 years without any issues. Loved it. Had a little wind storm in about 2000. The grill was picked up off the deck (it was a heavy sucker!), and ended up 50 yds away in the creek, pretty much worse for wear.

Bought a cheapy Charmglow - threw it out after 2 years.

Bought a Weber Genesis B on close out ( They moved the thermometer the next year) for about $300. Love it!! Will buy stainless grates when these rust out, though.

It sits on the deck year around. Covered (and tied down!!)
Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #29
Master Chef

I have the bottom of the line Weber and I love it! I'm not much into gas grills, just does not seem like out door grilling to me. My Weber does an excellent job. I use a chimney starter and I found these wonderful wood Briquetts made by Kroger (dirt cheap, lights fast, burns hot) and after I'm done grilling, I put the top on snuff out the flames and the charcoal is there to burn another day. I don't think you will regret your Weber, no matter what model you get.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
We have a Weber kettle charcoal grill and a Kenmore 4 burner gas....
The only reason we got Kenmore rather than Weber for the gas was because they were out of stock on the Weber and we were impatient!
No probs with the Kenmore tho... I use it as my 2nd oven quite often!