Are Webers worth the money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been grillin', smoking for many years, and of all the grills and smokers that have come and gone, my basic Weber charcoal kettle grill has been my favorite.

While you would'nt want it to use it to smoke a brisket or a shoulder, it is absolutely indispensible for steaks and burgers etc.

I am presently in the market for a new smoker as well as a new gas grille(you can't beat the convenience) but I will never part with my Weber.

i love my 22" weber ...
it is my go to grill and has outlasted many of my neighbors
grills ..

I am a charcoal person and of the two choices I would go with the Weber.

That being said, I dearly love my Char-Broil grill!

Weber all the way. The only drawback to starting out with a smaller less complex one is that when you get ready to upgrade to a top of the line, your current one will have found a place in your heart and be as good as new. Makes it hard to let go of em. Maybe shop around and see if you can get that top of the line one cheaper somewhere else.
I have a fold-down weber charcoal, and even though I am ready to upgrade to a nicer one with combo cooking surfaces and side grills, cabinets etc, my charcoal one is still in perfect shape after 8 years.
I have to find a good home for it first, and justify why it should be replaced at all to DW who is a bottom line money driven kinda gal. Maybe we should start a 'find a home for used Webers' web site. Kind of a rescue shelter thing for them, LOL.
"Needing good home...."

Hmmmm.....I know the original post is quite old but, If I had $800 to spend on a grill I would get a gas grill and a smoker/charcoal grill.

There are alot of good grill manufacturers out there, Weber, Ducane, DCS etc. Design and materials are most important. Stainless steel burners are a must, and I prefer the SS grates to the ceramic ones for longevity. Two people I know have had the ceramic coating deteriorate over time.

Had a Warm Morning with cast iron grates and burner for over 20 years without any issues. Loved it. Had a little wind storm in about 2000. The grill was picked up off the deck (it was a heavy sucker!), and ended up 50 yds away in the creek, pretty much worse for wear.

Bought a cheapy Charmglow - threw it out after 2 years.

Bought a Weber Genesis B on close out ( They moved the thermometer the next year) for about $300. Love it!! Will buy stainless grates when these rust out, though.

It sits on the deck year around. Covered (and tied down!!):cool:

I have the bottom of the line Weber and I love it! I'm not much into gas grills, just does not seem like out door grilling to me. My Weber does an excellent job. I use a chimney starter and I found these wonderful wood Briquetts made by Kroger (dirt cheap, lights fast, burns hot) and after I'm done grilling, I put the top on snuff out the flames and the charcoal is there to burn another day. I don't think you will regret your Weber, no matter what model you get.

We have a Weber kettle charcoal grill and a Kenmore 4 burner gas....
The only reason we got Kenmore rather than Weber for the gas was because they were out of stock on the Weber and we were impatient!
No probs with the Kenmore tho... I use it as my 2nd oven quite often!

I would have to agree - in my mind the design of a weber grill is perfect and simple for typical grilling tasks. Lasts for years and years.

I own a small Weber and a large large Charbroil Smoker grill.

I like the Charbroil best because I love the heavy cast metal grills and the overall sturdiness of the thing as well as its rectangular design and sensible cart. The top and body of it are made out of heavy cast aluminum, and it is fitted into a solid steel framework with quality wheels. I think it has just the right percentage of weight vs mobility. Which means to me, I can move it easily with its two wheels, yet it feels solid when put down. I like the venting system and the big deep hinged removable lid. The adjusting of the fire itself is simple and stable. I burnt out an aluminum liner to the firebox, but a metal shop replaced it with stainless steel for pennies.

I have used other Webers, but I keep going happily back to my Charbroil.

My hubby picked up a Weber off the curb that someone set out for the trash to pick up. It had been hooked up to a natural gas line. He retrofitted it for propane and we've used it for 2 years now. It is the best grill we've ever had. I would spend the money on a Weber.

I own a small Weber and a large large Charbroil Smoker grill.

I like the Charbroil best because I love the heavy cast metal grills and the overall sturdiness of the thing as well as its rectangular design and sensible cart. The top and body of it are made out of heavy cast aluminum, and it is fitted into a solid steel framework with quality wheels. I think it has just the right percentage of weight vs mobility. Which means to me, I can move it easily with its two wheels, yet it feels solid when put down. I like the venting system and the big deep hinged removable lid. The adjusting of the fire itself is simple and stable. I burnt out an aluminum liner to the firebox, but a metal shop replaced it with stainless steel for pennies.

I have used other Webers, but I keep going happily back to my Charbroil.

Charbroils are good grills as well, had one for a long time till a spider crawled up and fouled the line... made one heck of a roman candle...

I have two old Weber charcoal grills, one is a kettle and the other is one of those folding rectangular portable contraptions. I love them both, and have a cast iron griddle that fits the rectangular job just right. After I grill fresh fish, I oil up the griddle to do the tortillas for fish tacos. The kettle rocks for meat and paella. I have not done any serious smoking in years, but when I was in school in Pennsylvania, I smoked trout and venison and pheasant in an old refrigerator. Small hotplate in the bottom, iron pot full of dampened chips, a 4" flue pipe at the top. The new gas grills are beyond my comprehension, but here in southern California, smoked barbecue via indirect heat is all the rage. Wood is currently the preferred fuel. Oak, mesquite...yum!

Back
Top Bottom