"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I would have to agree - in my mind the design of a weber grill is perfect and simple for typical grilling tasks. Lasts for years and years.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #32
Head Chef

I own a small Weber and a large large Charbroil Smoker grill.

I like the Charbroil best because I love the heavy cast metal grills and the overall sturdiness of the thing as well as its rectangular design and sensible cart. The top and body of it are made out of heavy cast aluminum, and it is fitted into a solid steel framework with quality wheels. I think it has just the right percentage of weight vs mobility. Which means to me, I can move it easily with its two wheels, yet it feels solid when put down. I like the venting system and the big deep hinged removable lid. The adjusting of the fire itself is simple and stable. I burnt out an aluminum liner to the firebox, but a metal shop replaced it with stainless steel for pennies.

I have used other Webers, but I keep going happily back to my Charbroil.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #33
Master Chef

My hubby picked up a Weber off the curb that someone set out for the trash to pick up. It had been hooked up to a natural gas line. He retrofitted it for propane and we've used it for 2 years now. It is the best grill we've ever had. I would spend the money on a Weber.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
I own a small Weber and a large large Charbroil Smoker grill.

I like the Charbroil best because I love the heavy cast metal grills and the overall sturdiness of the thing as well as its rectangular design and sensible cart. The top and body of it are made out of heavy cast aluminum, and it is fitted into a solid steel framework with quality wheels. I think it has just the right percentage of weight vs mobility. Which means to me, I can move it easily with its two wheels, yet it feels solid when put down. I like the venting system and the big deep hinged removable lid. The adjusting of the fire itself is simple and stable. I burnt out an aluminum liner to the firebox, but a metal shop replaced it with stainless steel for pennies.

I have used other Webers, but I keep going happily back to my Charbroil.
Charbroils are good grills as well, had one for a long time till a spider crawled up and fouled the line... made one heck of a roman candle...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #35
Head Chef

Wow!

I only use charcoal grills, so I would not know about the gas ones.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #36
Sous Chef

I have two old Weber charcoal grills, one is a kettle and the other is one of those folding rectangular portable contraptions. I love them both, and have a cast iron griddle that fits the rectangular job just right. After I grill fresh fish, I oil up the griddle to do the tortillas for fish tacos. The kettle rocks for meat and paella. I have not done any serious smoking in years, but when I was in school in Pennsylvania, I smoked trout and venison and pheasant in an old refrigerator. Small hotplate in the bottom, iron pot full of dampened chips, a 4" flue pipe at the top. The new gas grills are beyond my comprehension, but here in southern California, smoked barbecue via indirect heat is all the rage. Wood is currently the preferred fuel. Oak, mesquite...yum!