"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
Old 04-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Are Webers worth the money?

I am somewhat of a novice to grilling but I want a nice, new grill so I can expand my horizons and really get into it. I've been looking around and a similarly sized Weber is about twice as expensive as a Kenmore. Is it really worth it? The two I'm looking at are:

The Kenmore is $350 and the Weber is $800. Is the Weber complete overkill or is the quality that much better to justify spending $450 more?

crankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Sounds a little pricey for Weber, I have one, and I know I surely didn't pay that much. I got mine at Wal Mart I think. I like mine, have had no problems. I would check around for better pricing. Iam not to fussy thought, as long as it gets the job done Iam happy ! I know I didn't pay over $350 for it . (no side burner) which is fine with me.

Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Just between these two...The Weber is worth the extra money in the short term as well as the long term. Being a novice (your word) you might consider just a basic Weber Charcoal grill. Gain some experience at Q'ing and buy yourself some time to make a more informed choice of all of the products on the market. Hope this helps.
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Crankin, I think Uncle Bob has offered great advice. You might want to take "baby steps" in this new world of cooking to you. Better to get a good learning foundation with a less expensive grill than to spend big bucks on something you might not like nor use if you discover this kind of cooking doesn't ring your chimes.

I'm in the Weber camp because we've had a Weber kettle grill for close to 25 years that shows no evidence of giving up on us. The only thing that's happened is the spot-weld where the handle was attached to the lid gave way a couple of weeks ago. Buck easily fixed it by reattaching it with nuts and bolts.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer
The Weber you have listed is a Stainless Steel model which are much more expensive then their regular line. You can get a regular Weber gas grill for around 450-$500 or so. Look for the Genesis line (I think that is the name).

Weber makes a quality product. It is worth the $ in my opinion. I do not have first hand experience with Kenmore grills, but I do with Weber. I also know that on trash day I often see grills on the side of the road all rusted out and falling apart. Rarely are those grills Webers.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior Cook
We have a Weber Genesis bought in 1980. It is used throughout the year and other than not being as black as when new, it is still wonderful. We have replaced the grates with stainless.
Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Weber has earned its reputation. They make top quality grills, both charcoal and gas.

The Weber you linked is a top dollar item. As GB said, you can get a Weber for around $400. Check out Home Depot to see a selection of grills.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I will have to say, I don't care if you are new, or seasoned to grilling. It is a long time investment and something you can/will grow into. If you can bite the bullet now, then so be it, it will save you a purchase in the future.weber makes a GREAT grill, that will stand the test of time.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
Head Chef
If you have to chose between those two grills, I would definitely advise the Weber. Superior Customer Service from Weber than from Sears. But There are many other brands I would recommend. The Big Green Egg for one is my best recommendation, or for propane American Outdoor Grill. Good Luck.
Life is short.So eat great food!
Renee Attili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Weber makes a quality product. It is worth the money in my opinion also. Every part is replaceable on the Weber and I mean every part.

Ol-blue is offline   Reply With Quote