Big Green Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought my BGE over 2 years ago, and, yes, it was a big investment, but any outdoor cooking vessel that is going to last more than a few year is going to be. You can't touch a decent gas grill for under $700-1000 and I believe the pellet smokers are in the same neighborhood as the Egg, and much less versatile. Anyway, it's an incredible smoker and can maintain low and slow with little to no tending for very long periods of time. It's extremely efficient. I normally smoke while I sleep. I'll get my fire started and the temp stabilized in the early evening, throw on the meat, and check it right before I go to bed. I've not had a fire go out or any issues with temp controls. I've had my large Egg go over 24 hours straight without reloading. If you like tending your smoker every hour or two then this won't be your thing. Someone else mentioned the Stoker or Guru. One (or both) not only control the temp, but you can also access and control them thru the internet if you have a wifi/network system set up at your house. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's on my short list! That takes care of smoking, on to grilling. The geometry of the dome helps keep foods moist and cook evenly. I've not had as good nor consistent results on any other grill. The ability to get the grill to 800* plus to seer and then shut the vents to finish a steak or roast is awesome. My wife figured it was just an expensive grill, but she changed her tune the first few cooks, not only due to the results, but also due to how easy it was to start and cook on. Also, it should last a lifetime and comes with a warranty to help that along.

And, no, I'm not just an Egg fanatic. I also have a JennAir natural gas grill that I also enjoy using and I built a wood fired pizza oven a few years ago.

Here's a pic of my outdoor kitchen I built last year.
img_916204_0_20e42aceefe3afa7e45b7fd50067e5c7.jpg

Here's the WFO
img_916204_1_1debbc296625d2c6a296f1d88960471b.jpg

img_916204_2_2108931b1c4858407b9ff98ca061de4e.jpg

My Brother in law got the BGE because he read it was the best and all his friends were getting them. The first few times he tried cooking on it were failures but after a while he was able to do a good job. Everything he does is fine but it really isn't better than other cookers and smokers. Way over priced and he at first was a true cult follower but now admits it does a good job but it isn't the greatest thing to grilling and smoking. But it took him awhile to admit that after he spent not only 1K on the grill but another 1K on a custom built holder for it. But it does make a great pizza. Like he says his friends still act as if they found the secret to meat.

2 cents... the BGE

:cool::cool:In my experience BGE's are wonderful! Yes, they do have a cult following. My dad was a convert after being a Weber guy forever & I inherited mine from him. It been in use over 12+ years. We replaced the felt liner last year. I like grilled beef & chicken with a bit of smoking. It does an amazing job on both. I want my steak seared but still mooing – a true "black & blue", which is always perfect on the BGE. DH & family all like med. Rare – med which the Egg also does beautifully. They also do low & slow-225 for 14+ hours easily with a full firebox, which has been our longest smoking time so far. Yes, it does amazing pizza too! DH is learning the smoking thing when he has time. He brought a gas grill into our lives but we use the BGE 99% of time for the flavor. Have even had a couple of friends get them because they were so impressed with what ours did. Just my 2 cents for what they’re worth.

I saved for many months and bought a bge 10 years
ago. Never regretted it. I'm tough on equipment, the egg
has say outside uncovered and the only replacement is the
gasket. As long as it doesn't fall and crack it should be in the
family a long time.

Back
Top Bottom