Big Green Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive heard lots of good things about them but believe you can get the job done well for a lot less.

That wouldn't surprise me, as they aren't exactly selling for peanuts. Very interesting concept though.

Never owned one....Have a couple of friends that do...They love them....What are you gonna say after tearing a hole in a $1000 bill? I hate this thing??? ~~~ I've eaten grilled steaks, and BBQed pork butt off of one...Both were delicious ~~~ .Some say they are over hyped, and over priced. ~~~ The full size ones are heavy...Buy locally...Shipping will eat your lunch....They will break/crack!! The seal on top may need replacing at some time...They have almost what one would call a "cult" following...A couple (maybe more) of websites devoted to nothing but BGE. Check out Egghead website.. They are used in competitions...Over all I think they do a good job...How serious of a pit master are you...how often will you use it...etc will help you determine if you wanna be an "Egg head":LOL: There are others...Primos is one...Check the Sq. inches of cooking space for you dollar...Some say the Primos offers more space for less $$$$....Do your homework!!

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Big Green price tag

I have be"Q"ing for 40 years and have a large collection of smokers and BBQ's
I have used the egg a few times at a friends house and it works but it is way overpriced, I can get the same results with and old Weber Kettle. The cult following t
thing is true and how can you fight with a guy that dumps a Grover Cleveland on a clay pot

Bobbleheadbob

My bil has one and the food is great, but like the others I don't think the price is justified. I've had food just as good cooked on something that cost a lot less.

Never owned one....Have a couple of friends that do...They love them....What are you gonna say after tearing a hole in a $1000 bill? I hate this thing??? ~~~ I've eaten grilled steaks, and BBQed pork butt off of one...Both were delicious ~~~ .Some say they are over hyped, and over priced. ~~~ The full size ones are heavy...Buy locally...Shipping will eat your lunch....They will break/crack!! The seal on top may need replacing at some time...They have almost what one would call a "cult" following...A couple (maybe more) of websites devoted to nothing but BGE. Check out Egghead website.. They are used in competitions...Over all I think they do a good job...How serious of a pit master are you...how often will you use it...etc will help you determine if you wanna be an "Egg head":LOL: There are others...Primos is one...Check the Sq. inches of cooking space for you dollar...Some say the Primos offers more space for less $$$$....Do your homework!!

Have Fun and Enjoy!

They say if you purchase and have it shipped over the net the warranty is null and void. I picked up on the cult following quickly, decided it would be pretty pointless to ask them what they thought so that's why I figured I'd ask my "old friends" here at DC.

I have one my dad bought some 25-30 years ago. Because it's heavy, if I had a covered masonry patio I'd use it year round; because I do not, it's in storage and I'm making do with a Weber. Hope to get it back into service on the backyard lawn this summer to make some delish pizza.

What I've found out is you need to buy a smoker for smoke'n, and a grill for grill'n. Those green eggs get dang hot, from what I've heard, but I wonder about the low and slow at 225.

BGE would be great for pizza, though.

You only live once, get it and if ya just don't like it you can sell it. Might take a hit, but I think it would be fun to cook on one.

OR, you could buy me one, Bill, and I'll tell ya if you made the right choice.:ROFLMAO: You could then thank me later.:LOL:

Good luck.

What I've found out is you need to buy a smoker for smoke'n, and a grill for grill'n. Those green eggs get dang hot, from what I've heard, but I wonder about the low and slow at 225.

Allow me to chime in here -- I own a large BGE, and while I'm no evangelist, I do love the thing a lot.

Low and slow is in fact where the Egg excels. It's true, you can crank it to 800 degrees, but it is first and foremost a smoker. There are several reasons for this -- the shape, the thick ceramic, the firebox design, but especially the very fine airflow controls on top and bottom.

I've smoked on a Weber, and a barrel-style smoker, and you can get great results. But nothing is easier to maintain at a constant temperature than an Egg. And it's really efficient with fuel; this past weekend I smoked a pork butt for 14 hours and didn't even burn through half my load of lump.

Do you need it? No. A skilled pitmaster can get great results from a hole in the ground. But does it work? Yes. And it's a hell of a lot of fun to play with, and good-looking, besides. Worth it? Well....my battered '96 Tercel gets me to work and back, but some folks like to drive Cadillacs. Are they wrong?

One word of warning: if you get one, not only are you going to spend a ton on the Egg, but you will suffer for the rest of your life with the temptation to buy an almost unlimited supply of accessories. Right now I am trying to decide whether a computer-controlled temperature and fan system would get me divorced or not; and there's some very interesting cooking stones over at that website....

Right now I am trying to decide whether a computer-controlled temperature and fan system would get me divorced or not; and there's some very interesting cooking stones over at that website....

When I was looking at grills/smokers I considered (heavily) the BGE. It is probably good I didn't know about a computer controlled anything for it... that might have been too much temptation. :LOL:

Allow me to chime in here -- I own a large BGE, and while I'm no evangelist, I do love the thing a lot.

Low and slow is in fact where the Egg excels. It's true, you can crank it to 800 degrees, but it is first and foremost a smoker. There are several reasons for this -- the shape, the thick ceramic, the firebox design, but especially the very fine airflow controls on top and bottom.

I've smoked on a Weber, and a barrel-style smoker, and you can get great results. But nothing is easier to maintain at a constant temperature than an Egg. And it's really efficient with fuel; this past weekend I smoked a pork butt for 14 hours and didn't even burn through half my load of lump.

Do you need it? No. A skilled pitmaster can get great results from a hole in the ground. But does it work? Yes. And it's a hell of a lot of fun to play with, and good-looking, besides. Worth it? Well....my battered '96 Tercel gets me to work and back, but some folks like to drive Cadillacs. Are they wrong?

One word of warning: if you get one, not only are you going to spend a ton on the Egg, but you will suffer for the rest of your life with the temptation to buy an almost unlimited supply of accessories. Right now I am trying to decide whether a computer-controlled temperature and fan system would get me divorced or not; and there's some very interesting cooking stones over at that website....

GREAT info!!! Are you talk'n the stoker? Nice units.

Thanks Fnarf, that was really good info. Now tell us about pizza!!! You better have done homemade pizza on there!:)

Remember, pix or it didn't happen! ;):LOL:

BTW, welcome to the site. Glad your here!

GREAT info!!! Are you talk'n the stoker? Nice units.

Thanks Fnarf, that was really good info. Now tell us about pizza!!! You better have done homemade pizza on there!

Yep, I've done pizza, both using the plate setter and pizza stone combo, and directly on the grid. My technique is poor, though, so I've had mixed results -- some great, some burnt to a blackened husk. One thing about a 800 degree fire, it really doesn't matter what kind of gloves and tongs and paddles you have; you're going to get heated up. Some of my pizza and steaks have been lightly seasoned with bits of burning hair, which isn't too popular -- not on the food and not the next day at the office when my forehead seems larger and redder than usual.

When I get it in time, though, it's pretty wonderful. No pics, alas.

One of the things that pisses me off is that my friend cooks better on his hundred-year-old rusted-out Weber than I do on my Egg. And his brisket may beat mine, but my pork butt knows no equal.

Many times it's the cook and not the cooker, know what I mean. Some people just "have it". I'm not one of those, but I bet you are.

Here is one of my famous pizza cooks on the weber. It was a frozen pizza and I got distracted.

img_889771_0_94724e899a58feec02221096e23e755a.jpg

no, it's not a manhole cover!:ermm:

i recently purchased a smoker my self , i considered the EGG.
but for the cost i decided to go with a pellet cooker which is controlled by a digital thermostat. the only negative is it doesnt do pizza at 700 +
but its great for smoking/cooking 200-400 degrees

i recently purchased a smoker my self , i considered the EGG.
but for the cost i decided to go with a pellet cooker which is controlled by a digital thermostat. the only negative is it doesnt do pizza at 700 +
but its great for smoking/cooking 200-400 degrees

Nice! What kind did you get? I have a traeger and a Louisiana Country Cooker, whole hog model. Both have digital therms.

Gotta love a pellet smoker!:mrgreen:

BGE's are eggcelent at low n slow. Go here Rick's Tropical Delight

he uses nothing but a BGE. He belongs to another forum im on and makes som AWESOME food. However. if you own a weber grill and an offset smoker. You can produce just as good results. hence why i never bought one. Low and slow on these things rock due to there damper controlls

Back
Top Bottom