"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Hi there everybody. I'm very new to this site, so please be gentle with me!

My site name is Mr Magoo, and I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I have been looking to buy an indoor smoker for a very long time, but just do not know which one to go for.
I am partially disabled, and therefore the model I require needs to be light, easy to use and of course needs to be particularly for indoor use. I would also like a model that's not too hard to maintain... is there anybody out there who can please give me any suggestions as to where I could get one in my 'neck of the woods', and where to buy the wood to load it up etc? I am almost afraid to buy it off the internet, because... well, for obvious reasons.
Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Mr Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Hi. I am new to this food blog. It looks great. I hope you can help me. I recently purchased an indoor smoker from Emson:

Emson 8303 Indoor Meat Smoker Pressure Cooker Hot Cold BBQ Chili Soup Steam 5qt on eBay!

I tried making brisket for Passover. It was a disaster -- tasteless leather.

I can't find any recipe books for indoor smokers - how much water? what rub or sauce? how many wood chips? how are the wood chips prepared? how long to cook? (I live in NYC so an indoor smoker is my only option and my wife is vegetarian, so the girls and I are on our own.)

Can you point me in the direction of recipes for this indoor smoker?

Many thanks in advance.

David Shapiro
__________________

__________________
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro
Hi. I am new to this food blog. It looks great. I hope you can help me. I recently purchased an indoor smoker from Emson:

Emson 8303 Indoor Meat Smoker Pressure Cooker Hot Cold BBQ Chili Soup Steam 5qt on eBay!

I tried making brisket for Passover. It was a disaster -- tasteless leather.

I can't find any recipe books for indoor smokers - how much water? what rub or sauce? how many wood chips? how are the wood chips prepared? how long to cook? (I live in NYC so an indoor smoker is my only option and my wife is vegetarian, so the girls and I are on our own.)

Can you point me in the direction of recipes for this indoor smoker?

Many thanks in advance.

David Shapiro
See if this works:

http://www.cameronscookware.com/Recipes.aspx

I have a Cameron and love it, but your machine looks like it does everything but wash your windows!

BTW, welcome to DC!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
I can't speak to what you have, David, but I've had this Cameron's smoker and couldn't be more pleased with it. I've had it for well over 10 years and I love it. In fact, I'm planning to smoke some salmon tomorrow for our dinner.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #25
Sous Chef
 
gadzooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L View Post
I have a indoor smoker still in the box-- never used ! Guess a little afraid to use it. Any suggestion for use - chicken,vetables etc. would be appreciated.
I buy those Cameron smokers in thrift stores for $5-$10 per. Usually used once and the buyer didn't like it, usually because he applied too high a heat. Their loss. They smoke OK, but they really are the absolute very best lasagna pans. Take all the stuff out of them and look...man, they are deep, and that sliding lid is the bomb. Bake with the lid on, slide the lid off to finish, and if you're taking your prize-winning lasagna to a potluck, you have a lid. I've given a couple away to friends, and keep two so I can do a meat and a veggie at the same time.
__________________
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I buy those Cameron smokers in thrift stores for $5-$10 per. Usually used once and the buyer didn't like it, usually because he applied too high a heat. Their loss. They smoke OK, but they really are the absolute very best lasagna pans. Take all the stuff out of them and look...man, they are deep, and that sliding lid is the bomb. Bake with the lid on, slide the lid off to finish, and if you're taking your prize-winning lasagna to a potluck, you have a lid. I've given a couple away to friends, and keep two so I can do a meat and a veggie at the same time.
I'm not one of those "use once" people. In fact, I have the smaller Cameron's smoker, too. I use them all the time. I smoke veggies, especially potatoes, cheese, fish, pork, chicken, beef. I love the smokers.

Never thought to use the larger one as a lasagna pan. Guess it's because I have a huge, deep lasagna pan already.

Wow, I'd love to find another large one at a thrift store because, especially in the summertime, I could use a second one.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #27
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,419
Since Father's Day is coming up, I've been dropping subtle hints to DW that I would sure like to have a stovetop smoker.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Since Father's Day is coming up, I've been dropping subtle hints to DW that I would sure like to have a stovetop smoker.
Hope someone comes through for you, Steve. You'll have great fun and make all sorts of yummy goodies.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Since Father's Day is coming up, I've been dropping subtle hints to DW that I would sure like to have a stovetop smoker.

Hopefully not too subtle.

You might want to make a big banner with HUGE RED LETTERS

__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
smoker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.