"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 07-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Hi there everybody. I'm very new to this site, so please be gentle with me!

My site name is Mr Magoo, and I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I have been looking to buy an indoor smoker for a very long time, but just do not know which one to go for.
I am partially disabled, and therefore the model I require needs to be light, easy to use and of course needs to be particularly for indoor use. I would also like a model that's not too hard to maintain... is there anybody out there who can please give me any suggestions as to where I could get one in my 'neck of the woods', and where to buy the wood to load it up etc? I am almost afraid to buy it off the internet, because... well, for obvious reasons.
Thanks.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Hi. I am new to this food blog. It looks great. I hope you can help me. I recently purchased an indoor smoker from Emson:

Emson 8303 Indoor Meat Smoker Pressure Cooker Hot Cold BBQ Chili Soup Steam 5qt on eBay!

I tried making brisket for Passover. It was a disaster -- tasteless leather.

I can't find any recipe books for indoor smokers - how much water? what rub or sauce? how many wood chips? how are the wood chips prepared? how long to cook? (I live in NYC so an indoor smoker is my only option and my wife is vegetarian, so the girls and I are on our own.)

Can you point me in the direction of recipes for this indoor smoker?

Many thanks in advance.

David Shapiro

Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro
Hi. I am new to this food blog. It looks great. I hope you can help me. I recently purchased an indoor smoker from Emson:

Emson 8303 Indoor Meat Smoker Pressure Cooker Hot Cold BBQ Chili Soup Steam 5qt on eBay!

I tried making brisket for Passover. It was a disaster -- tasteless leather.

I can't find any recipe books for indoor smokers - how much water? what rub or sauce? how many wood chips? how are the wood chips prepared? how long to cook? (I live in NYC so an indoor smoker is my only option and my wife is vegetarian, so the girls and I are on our own.)

Can you point me in the direction of recipes for this indoor smoker?

Many thanks in advance.

David Shapiro
See if this works:

http://www.cameronscookware.com/Recipes.aspx

I have a Cameron and love it, but your machine looks like it does everything but wash your windows!

BTW, welcome to DC!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I can't speak to what you have, David, but I've had this Cameron's smoker and couldn't be more pleased with it. I've had it for well over 10 years and I love it. In fact, I'm planning to smoke some salmon tomorrow for our dinner.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L View Post
I have a indoor smoker still in the box-- never used ! Guess a little afraid to use it. Any suggestion for use - chicken,vetables etc. would be appreciated.
I buy those Cameron smokers in thrift stores for $5-$10 per. Usually used once and the buyer didn't like it, usually because he applied too high a heat. Their loss. They smoke OK, but they really are the absolute very best lasagna pans. Take all the stuff out of them and look...man, they are deep, and that sliding lid is the bomb. Bake with the lid on, slide the lid off to finish, and if you're taking your prize-winning lasagna to a potluck, you have a lid. I've given a couple away to friends, and keep two so I can do a meat and a veggie at the same time.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I buy those Cameron smokers in thrift stores for $5-$10 per. Usually used once and the buyer didn't like it, usually because he applied too high a heat. Their loss. They smoke OK, but they really are the absolute very best lasagna pans. Take all the stuff out of them and look...man, they are deep, and that sliding lid is the bomb. Bake with the lid on, slide the lid off to finish, and if you're taking your prize-winning lasagna to a potluck, you have a lid. I've given a couple away to friends, and keep two so I can do a meat and a veggie at the same time.
I'm not one of those "use once" people. In fact, I have the smaller Cameron's smoker, too. I use them all the time. I smoke veggies, especially potatoes, cheese, fish, pork, chicken, beef. I love the smokers.

Never thought to use the larger one as a lasagna pan. Guess it's because I have a huge, deep lasagna pan already.

Wow, I'd love to find another large one at a thrift store because, especially in the summertime, I could use a second one.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #27
Wine Guy

Since Father's Day is coming up, I've been dropping subtle hints to DW that I would sure like to have a stovetop smoker.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Since Father's Day is coming up, I've been dropping subtle hints to DW that I would sure like to have a stovetop smoker.
Hope someone comes through for you, Steve. You'll have great fun and make all sorts of yummy goodies.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

Hopefully not too subtle.

You might want to make a big banner with HUGE RED LETTERS

Tags
smoker