CobbUSA getting more Lokkii Charcoal disks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez, it took almost two weeks for me to get my Woot T-shirts...

Congrats on the new toy.

Yeah, 2 weeks for shipping is too long, even if shipping is free on T-shirts.

I might do some baby back ribs on the Cobb for its first cook. :mrgreen:

Ribs and chicken are my main meats for the Cobb. Steak is a waste on the grill plate, tri-tip roasts do well tho.
I suggest you go easy on adding wood chips for smoke as anything you cook will turn out like smoked ham. A small amount goes a long way.

After checking on shipping costs for the Lokkii briquettes, man, very pricey.
With shipping it comes to ten bucks a disk. I bought some cheaper on eBay but they were punk and I got a refund. Regular charcoal is ok, but I really liked the convenience of the one Lokkii disk that wasn't bad. It's such a shame Europe and Canada have stockpiles, but the US doesn't have any. I'm not going to be ordering Lokkii from Cobb, way too pricey.

Ribs and chicken are my main meats for the Cobb. Steak is a waste on the grill plate, tri-tip roasts do well tho.
I suggest you go easy on adding wood chips for smoke as anything you cook will turn out like smoked ham. A small amount goes a long way.
Thanks for that tip. I have some hickory and cherry chunks on hand. With a small chamber like that I figured it can get pretty smokey if not careful.
As for fuel I'll use Stubb's natural hardwood briquettes.

I plan on doing tri tips also.
I like some crisp on my chicken skin. I'll try chicken on it as well.

Last edited:
I received my new toy I ordered from Woot yesterday. The accessories for the cooker which I had ordered separately from Cobb USA came in yesterday as well.
Now I need to decide what I'm going to cook in it this weekend...))))
It looks fun. I wish I had one to play with. What is it called???

Thanks. It looks fun! I just love all of the different gadgets related to cooking, smoking, baking, etc.

Rib FAIL first cook

The very first cook on my new Cobb grill was a total FAIL. I cut down a rack of spareribs so they'll fit on the rack then realized on second thought I should have simply rolled the entire slab and skewered it for a better, cleaner fit. First FAIL.

After I started the coals I waited a few minutes before putting on the ribs. The cooker eventually settled at around 260F and slowly crept up to 300F at the third hour. Not bad. I let the ribs cook without checking for 4+ hours. Second FAIL. I should have checked the ribs at the third hour. Also, I knew the water reservoir had dried out by that point.
The ribs came out a bit charred on the underside and pretty dry overall, but eatable, mostly due to the dry rub I used...lol... Sorry, no photos of the failed ribs. :LOL:

I think I basically need to cut down on fuel quantity and check on the meat periodically on the next cook.

But overall so far I like this cooker.

Attachments

• P1060251.jpg
    P1060251.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 301
  • P1060254.jpg
    P1060254.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 282
  • P1060257.jpg
    P1060257.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
You are an honest man Roadfix.
Better luck next time. Now you have a starting point upon which to tweak.

You are an honest man Roadfix.
Better luck next time. Now you have a starting point upon which to tweak.

Cook time and temp is a bit of a learning curve. Lump charcoal burns a bit hotter than regular briquettes. 2.5 hours with less lump charcoal is a pretty good set and forget method (baste and glaze last 30 min). While not as 1-2-3 easy, having some coals ready to add (using less to begin with) 3/4 into your cooking time is not a bad idea. You can cook longer, and yet be sure to get the sauce to glaze at the end. You wanna flip the ribs once if you can.

I don't consider ribs to be as "set and forget" as stand roasting a chicken or a tri-tip roast, etc.

Back
Top Bottom