"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Grill help

I'm thinking of buying a propapne grill to play with.. It will be used in a car port where I will have water and electricity available.

Suggestions?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Check out the Weber Genesis line of gas grills...Buy one bigger than you think you need...
Try to cook out from under the carport as much as possible....Over time the smoke/fats etc will dirty up the ceiling/walls etc.

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

The June 2009 issue of Consumer Reports Magazine has an excellent article on gas grills. It includes tests and ratings of 39 different grills in small, medium and large sizes.

The top medium-sized grills in their tests were the Weber Genesis E320 (86 points) and EP320 (85 points), and the Vermont Castings Signature Series VCS3507P (86 points). Those are all $700 to $850. For $450, the Fiesta Blue Ember FG50069-U409 (84 points) and the Char-Broil Red 463250509 (81 points), both sold by Home Depot, were rated Best Buys.

I suggest you pick up a copy of the magazine and read the whole article before choosing your grill.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I forgot about the smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Check out the Weber Genesis line of gas grills...Buy one bigger than you think you need...
Try to cook out from under the carport as much as possible....Over time the smoke/fats etc will dirty up the ceiling/walls etc.

Have Fun!
I forgot about smoke! Duh...

If I do this It will be impossible to not have it under the carport for a variety of reasons I won't go into. I have a large, high volume commerical fan I can use to move smoke away from the area.
Would that help?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

If I do this It will be impossible to not have it under the carport for a variety of reasons I won't go into. I have a large, high volume commerical fan I can use to move smoke away from the area.
Would that help?
Most of these units are on wheels -- can't you just roll it out from under the cover when you want to cook?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Would that help?
Yes....Anything to move the smoke/etc. It's not something you will notice the first times you cook...but over time (depending on how much you use it) it will gunk up things somewhat...It (walls-ceilings) can be cleaned, and repainted etc...Just time and resources...If your carport is somewhat open then it want be as big an issue....If it is fully enclosed ..then more so.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yes....Anything to move the smoke/etc. It's not something you will notice the first times you cook...but over time (depending on how much you use it) it will gunk up things somewhat...It (walls-ceilings) can be cleaned, and repainted etc...Just time and resources...If your carport is somewhat open then it want be as big an issue....If it is fully enclosed ..then more so.
how about a covered deck?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Prolly not a biggie...As long as you have some air flow/movement underneath. Obviously in a carport/garage/covered deck/etc the concentration of smoke want be like a pork butt inside a cooker...In an area where it will get the most concentration...say directly above the cooker will be the area of most concern...Again it may take several years to really get bad depending on how much you grill/bbq etc.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I am a big Weber fan. They make excellent grills. You really can't go wrong with a Weber. I have a Genesis (not sure which one) that has served me very well and very consistently.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

i was thinking of getting this grill. any thoughts?

Master Forge Split Lid Gas Grill

i love the fact that it has a Rotisserie capability.