"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 AM   #1

"Grilling" Vs. "Barbeque"

Probably none more obnoxiously evangelical (in the secular sense) than a new convert . . .

I've been at "barbeque" now for about 18 months. I stepped into this arcane craft by accident. I'd been "grilling" for years.

And so I log into this particular forum -- expecting great things like the other forums on this site.

No barbeque.

One thread on comparing a Weber to a Char-Broil. One thread asking "What Grill Do You Own."

No barbeque.

I live on the North Oregon Coast. Around here only a few, and they're "imports" make a distinction between grilling and barbeque.

"Grilling" is where you put the food on a grill and cook it over a heat source -- these days it's more and more about gas.

Weber, with it's covered grill is a hybrid -- but technically it's a "grill" and not "barbeque.

Barbeque . . .

This opens a huge can of worms. Bottom line is that "barbeque" in the strictest sense of the term is about smoking meat.

A "barbeque" is some sort of enclosed chamber which is heated from an offset/indirect firebox. The firebox contains aromatic woods, and maybe some charcoal. The firebox is dampered so that the aromatic woods smoke and smolder. The smoke is directed into an enclosed chamber where meat is hung. Temperature in this chamber runs about 200 - 250 F depending on what you've got on the barbeque.

Meat preparation is a hugely complicated, and largely secreted process:

Dry rubs, brines, sauces . . .

Lots of links on google.

Best barbeque I've done -- and I'm at the ocean, so maybe it's a regional thing -- brined Chinook salmon filets, rubbed with olive oil and Italian herbs. Smoked over Mesquite at 200 F for about 4 hours.

My ribs and pork shoulder are coming along.

Beef brisket -- the paramount barbeque challenge -- is not readily available locally. I'd have to order a special cut. And because it's complicated, it'd be like asking for trouble.

Nothing wrong with grilling. I grill stuff all the time -- usually in an electric oven. With sauces, marinades, even a brine or two.

But it ain't "barbeque."

Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Daphne - I'd like to direct your attention to the sub-forum above, at this link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...splay.php?f=36

We happen to have a barbeque expert in our family here, Raine, and there are numerous topics on barbequing all types of food, and she has posted some very good advice in answer to questions.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out this thread, especially post #2, about BBQ. It shows a technique for BBQ on a "grill". Thanks, Raine.

Smoking Pork Spare Ribs question...
Old 07-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Hospitality Queen

We cook outdoors 3-4x/week, and more than half of what I know about it, I've learned from Raine's expert advice!
Old 07-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne duLibre
Probably none more obnoxiously evangelical (in the secular sense) than a new convert . . .
Boy you sure said a mouthful.

I am sure now that you have cruised the boards more thoroughly you have found lots more "barbeque" recipes to make you happy. If not, I encourage you to try perusing the archives, and if you are STILL not satisfied with our offerings I am sure any thread you start, humbly begging for recipes will be full very quickly.

Raine is busy setting up her new restaurant, but I am sure she would spare you a few moments to chat, recent convert to old hand. Try out the PM function of the boards.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
There is a whole sub forum devoted to smoking meats and bbq - check it out under the Outdoor Cooking Forum.

Also, check out these other recipes for

Pulled Pork
Another Pulled Pork Recipe

There are more - like Alix said look in the archives too. Yes, there is much debate over what exactly BBQ versus grilling is - some are adament that bbq is a food, others feels that bbq is the act of grilling. It really depends on what region of the world you are from. If you need any help with learning how to smoke please let us know or if you need some recipes - everyone will be more than willing to help.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I just wanted to add that technically smoking/bbq is not a complicated process at all. Even with a brisket - you just salt, pepper, olive oil it and cook it low for about 18 hours, depending on how large the piece is. You want to cook the meat higher than the temperature it is technically done at - this makes it tender and it just falls off the bone. So really, nothing is complicated. You don't even need to get into the mops and rubs to have good bbq. A very simple sauce to serve with it is the infamous NC BBQ Sauce:

North Carolina Vinegar Sauce

2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 TBS ketchup
2 TBS packed brown sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt (makes a huge difference so use kosher)
1 TBS Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
1 2 tsp. black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk until the salt and brown sugar dissolve. Taste for seasoning. Add amount of hot pepper flakes you want. Transfer the sauce to a very clean or even a sterile jar and store in refrigerator. Will keep for several months (if not more).

Or even more simply, white vinegar and red pepper flakes - just shake and let sit for awhile.

The above sauce is great in a mixture of chopped cabbage, green pepper, and carrot, and onion.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:28 PM   #8

Somehow, Somewhere . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Daphne - I'd like to direct your attention to the sub-forum above, at this link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...splay.php?f=36

We happen to have a barbeque expert in our family here, Raine, and there are numerous topics on barbequing all types of food, and she has posted some very good advice in answer to questions.
Some way my browser (Mozilla something) was not opening/linking to the sub categories in this section.

Not looking for "advice" so much as just hoping to stir up a discussion about smoking, BBQ, and whatever it is we're doing over a charcoal heat source.

The local butcher doesn't carry brisket. It's a special order item.

I keep buying these huge packages of ribs/pork shoulder/loin/beef ribs . . . Huge "family packs" at CostCo. Cook about 8 oz and freeze the rest.

The freezer is full of meat that I cooked 8 oz of and froze the rest.

Someday soon, I should send out invitations, build a fire and thaw out the whole freezer.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Mozilla Firefox - sometimes I have to switch back to IE on some links.

I love to smoke anything - I've also got a stovetop smoker that really puts the flavor in. Still, aside from a good pork butt - I love to smoke beer can/butt chicken - they are just so wonderful in the smoker or even smoked on the grill when I do a bunch at one time.

I haven't used a mop yet - the flavor of just the smoke is good enough for me right now. I'm sure I'll experiment at some point though. I do use a rub on my beer butt chicken but I don't use a rub on my pork butts - I tried one time from a recipe and it wasn't good - it tasted too "Italian", which is all wrong for a bbq.

What has been your favorite thing to smoke?

Old 07-31-2005, 07:44 PM   #10
Executive Chef

See, I'm not the only expert here! QSis also knows her way around the pit. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. It's all in fire control, time and temp. The K.I.S.S. method works real well for cooking BBQ. Learning your cooker.

We've done 3 cooks now with the new pit, and we will probably still play around a little more with the wood. Think we have the temp and time worked out.

We had a dry run at the restaurant last night. Invitation only to family, friends, folks who helped make this happen. Appox. 35 -38 poeple. There were bbq, judges, bbq cooking team, people who have eaten a ton of our food over the years, to people who were eating it for the first time.

It was a HUGE SUCCESS! Everybody really liked everything! The 2 waitresses we have currently, did a great job, they worked well together. We worked a few bugs, and have a few more to go. Some will just have to come by doing it, finding out what works best.

Next week is gonna be busy, I believe.

We love to talk bbq, along with a few others here who are varying levels of expeirence with outdoor cooking. We all love sharing and learning from each other. So jump right in, and share your expeirences, swap recipes, ask questions. You'll find someone wanting to talk with ya.

Quote:
just wanted to add that technically smoking/bbq is not a complicated process at all. Even with a brisket - you just salt, pepper, olive oil it and cook it low for about 18 hours, depending on how large the piece is. You want to cook the meat higher than the temperature it is technically done at - this makes it tender and it just falls off the bone. So really, nothing is complicated. You don't even need to get into the mops and rubs to have good bbq.