"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Head Chef

Hardwood charcoal

So i bought 40 pounds of mesquite hardwood charcoal today. The guy told me that it will NOT give my food that cat pee flavor like mesquite smoke can do. He stated that once a hardwood is turned to charcoal they all have the same flavor. Its the actual natural mesquite wood that can make food taste like cat pee if not careful. hahah

Any way. i plan on using it tomorow for my smoker and not sure how much to mix with my kingsford briquites?

i use a chimney full at a time because my smoker can only handle that much. Here is a picture of what is in the bag. They are all this size..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mesquite lump charcoal.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	7118  

Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well..I don't know for a fact that all wood that is turned to charcoal tastes the same. I smoke with hickory chunks and have never used anything else. I used mesquite chunks once and didn't like it. Let us know how the charcoal mesquite turns out!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Head Chef

CRAP, i just hope i didnt waste 20$ because i dont like the taste of mesquite smoke. I like apple or hickory. BUT he did say that it wouldnt taste like mesquite because its been turned to charcoal and he uses it all the time. Maybe he just wanted 20$
Old 04-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I think what you got was something that will burn hotter or longer, can't remember which one. I'm afraid you won't have a smokey flavor like Hickory gives. I think what you bought serves a purpose...it may end up perfect!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

yeah i have hickory and apple logs to smoke with. But they are actual wood logs, not charcoal. I just needed a charcoal that lasts longer and he said this lasts up to 7 times longer than kingsford briquites and doesnt give off that nasty mesquite flavor
Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds like a plan - good luck tomorrow!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

As a general rule Lump Charcoal Burns hotter than Briquettes...As a general rule Lump Charcoal burns (up) faster than Briquettes. As a general rule Lump Charcoal will give off the same essence (smell) as the wood it was made from....As a general rule Lump Charcoal is best suited for Grilling (it burns hotter) While Briquettes (burns slower) is best suited for BBQing (slow cooking) However they can be/are used interchangeably --- As a general rule.

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
As a general rule Lump Charcoal Burns hotter than Briquettes...As a general rule Lump Charcoal burns (up) faster than Briquettes. As a general rule Lump Charcoal will give off the same essence (smell) as the wood it was made from....As a general rule Lump Charcoal is best suited for Grilling (it burns hotter) While Briquettes (burns slower) is best suited for BBQing (slow cooking) However they can be/are used interchangeably --- As a general rule.

Have Fun!!!
Interesting, i called the guy back and he said he would give me back my money if it tastes like mesquite at all. But he guaranteed me that it would not and that i would be happy with it. So i am gonna trust him. Ill see how long my burn times last and report back.

im still learning what works and doesnt work with my ECB smoker
Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Since it's really charcoal, I'll be surprised if it makes the food taste like anything at all. You don't really "taste the briquettes", right? That's why people add apple, hickory or mesquite chips - to get a more flavorful smoke. I just add hickory chips that have soaked in Jack Daniels and water overnight to my smoker. Lasts quite long enough to impart the desired flavor. Unfortunately, the liquid the chips have soaked in is no longer palatable afterwards. Not that I've tried or anything.

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Since it's really charcoal, I'll be surprised if it makes the food taste like anything at all. You don't really "taste the briquettes", right? That's why people add apple, hickory or mesquite chips - to get a more flavorful smoke. I just add hickory chips that have soaked in Jack Daniels and water overnight to my smoker. Lasts quite long enough to impart the desired flavor. Unfortunately, the liquid the chips have soaked in is no longer palatable afterwards. Not that I've tried or anything.
Lets be honest SRL, you took a sip or two