"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

thats the same grill/smoker i have .. i love it ...
never had a problem kepping the temps at 225 for a 6-12
hour smoke .. and the grill is large enough to accomadate
enough food for a decent amount of people ..

Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
I use the lid all the time on the SFB to feed the fire...hmmm...tomato tomahto.
I may have to eat my own words. The logs I was using were to big to fit through the drawer, so I had to use the SFB door.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
I may have to eat my own words. The logs I was using were to big to fit through the drawer, so I had to use the SFB door.
I dont have a drawer on my side box. So I add my wood thru the side box lid as well. The door on the side box is not big enough to put logs thru. But I have only a momentary heat rise and smoke increase due to the fact I have the damper on the door almost closed. I don't usually have a problem with excessive smoke. I have thought about having a separate fire for burning logs and just adding the hot coal to the smoker but I have not tried that with this smoker yet. I did this with my grill however before I bought my smoker. Worked OK with the grill for getting a bit of smokey taste on pork chops. I carry a grill camping (RVing) and use coals from my campfire for this alot. So I may try doing it with the smoker at home someday.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paymaster
I dont have a drawer on my side box. So I add my wood thru the side box lid as well. The door on the side box is not big enough to put logs thru. But I have only a momentary heat rise and smoke increase due to the fact I have the damper on the door almost closed. I don't usually have a problem with excessive smoke. I have thought about having a separate fire for burning logs and just adding the hot coal to the smoker but I have not tried that with this smoker yet. I did this with my grill however before I bought my smoker. Worked OK with the grill for getting a bit of smokey taste on pork chops. I carry a grill camping (RVing) and use coals from my campfire for this alot. So I may try doing it with the smoker at home someday.
Paymaster - I do not have a great deal of knowledge on BBQ from experience, but I do have the benefit of having done a lot of research on the topic. In regards to the "excessive" smoke issues, I've heard from several experienced sources that if you use a cheap secondary (or old) grill to prep your wood on, then add it to the smoker, that is a solution. Fire the wood in the grill, then when appropriately charred and or hot, then add.

Casper
Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

paymaster ... what kind of rig are you using ...
and ... if i am reading this right . you want to get more smoke out of it ...
what kind of wood are you using ..
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q"
paymaster ... what kind of rig are you using ...
and ... if i am reading this right . you want to get more smoke out of it ...
what kind of wood are you using ..
I have a Char-Broil brand smoker with the side box. It is the heavy guage version. I am very satisfied with it's performance and was only commenting that I feed sticks from the lid and not the ash door on the side. I have used hickory, oak and many fruit woods as well as mesquite. Pear is my favorite smoke wood. I use oak as a base wood and add others for flavor.