"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
AllenOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,463
Here's a couple pics of my grill with the SFB

In this first pic, I have the smoking chamber open, with two partial loads of charcoal getting starting in the starters. If you look on the SFB, you'll notice a bit of rust on the top, from where the paint peeled and the steel rusted in the deluge we've received in the past week-and-a-half. Here shortly, I'm going to try to strip the bulk of that factory paint off and re-paint it with a commercial high-temp black paint.



In the second pic, I've opened up the SFB to show how it works. I build the fire in the tray that slides out. I refuel the fire by the same method. I rarely actually open the top door of the SFB during smoking. You can, if you wish, build a small fire in the SFB and grill in it as well. I probably won't, as I can't feed my family with a cooking area that small. If you look closely, you should see flame coming out of the top of the right-hand charcoal starter.


__________________

__________________
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Paymaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ephesus Georgia
Posts: 528
Yeah Buddy, that'll do for sure. Thanks for sharing.
__________________

__________________
"Of all the things I have lost in my life,I miss my mind the most".
David
Paymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 80
Hello Allen

So you start smoking with two partial laods of coals? That's it?
The one and only time I used the same smoker, I used more coals than that, and couldn't get the temp hi enough and long enough. I had to have the SFB's air duct open all the way, which caused my hickory chunks to burn rather than smoke.
I had to remove the cooking rack in the SFB to fit the amount of coals I used.
Please walk us through your procedure.
__________________
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
AllenOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,463
That load was for grilling. I only use one full charcoal starter to get it going. Once the charcoal has caught, I spread it out, then, lay on a couple logs, or several 2" thick sticks, of oak, hickory, or pecan. I can maintain 225 degrees F for about 40 minutes or so, then have to reload with a couple more logs, and a handful of charcoal.
__________________
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Sous Chef
 
CasperImproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
That load was for grilling. I only use one full charcoal starter to get it going. Once the charcoal has caught, I spread it out, then, lay on a couple logs, or several 2" thick sticks, of oak, hickory, or pecan. I can maintain 225 degrees F for about 40 minutes or so, then have to reload with a couple more logs, and a handful of charcoal.
Okay Allen... Since no one brought it up in this post, you should really not include the pic with the lighter fluid in it. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

I haven't actually started BBQing myself yet, but I switched to the charcoal starters so I wouldn't ;-) while I have been charcoal grilling year round. This year I *will* take the plunge and BBQ. I even have the two probe tempreture probe so I can have a beer or two and drift off while the long process takes place ;-) I should only have to wake up in the process to add the lump, and to pull the meat off the ECB when the right temp is reached.

BTW, once I become adept at BBQing, I will likely upgrade to a Char-Grill, so I can grill while waiting on the BBQ like you.

Cheers!

Casper
__________________
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Allen...

Great pictures! You must tell me about your camera! I have owned off-set bbq rigs for years. Let me share some tips with you. Don't try to strip the paint off. Sand the flash rust off and go to Wally-World and buy a spray can of High Heat Paint made for the purpose. You can expect to do this every year or so on the lid of the fire chamber and eventually underneath as well.

Go easy with the "logs" they will consume a lot of your charcoals BTU's to ignite and keep them going. They want give you alot of addtional heat output anyway. Simply they will cool your fire off and possibly create way, way to much smoke. Lastly don't add un-lit charcoal to your fire. It is better to get extra coals going in a starter(s) and then add them. This gives you better fire control/management which is the name of the game in BBQing. Try this a few times and if you like it I'll give ya a tip to really make it hum! Hope this helps and...

Enjoy!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Solid setup.

@uncle_bob, great tips. Gonna try to implement your painting method this weekend!
__________________
My Site
amybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
AllenOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Allen...

Great pictures! You must tell me about your camera! I have owned off-set bbq rigs for years. Let me share some tips with you. Don't try to strip the paint off. Sand the flash rust off and go to Wally-World and buy a spray can of High Heat Paint made for the purpose. You can expect to do this every year or so on the lid of the fire chamber and eventually underneath as well.

Go easy with the "logs" they will consume a lot of your charcoals BTU's to ignite and keep them going. They want give you alot of addtional heat output anyway. Simply they will cool your fire off and possibly create way, way to much smoke. Lastly don't add un-lit charcoal to your fire. It is better to get extra coals going in a starter(s) and then add them. This gives you better fire control/management which is the name of the game in BBQing. Try this a few times and if you like it I'll give ya a tip to really make it hum! Hope this helps and...

Enjoy!
I've got a Nikon D40, just got it, and still learning it.

I was thinking about getting one of those sand-paper stripper wheels for a power drill, and using that, on both the flaking paint and rust. I already have the high-temp paint.

I only use the charcoal to get it started. After that, nothing but logs until I'm done. I can maintain a fairly steady temp.
__________________
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Allen...

Great camera! I'll have to check that one out.

I love to cook with pure wood coals! Makes for great BBQ. I used to do it a lot but now I depend on Charcoal most of the time. I do the pure wood coal cook sometime, but it's really hard work to keep a seperate from the cooker fire going to produce the wood coals that I need. I don't like to add wood directly to the cooker as it causes a "dirty fire" and and too much smoke. I prefer the taste of meat cooked with a "clean fire" and very little smoke. Anyway, thanks again for posting your pictures.

Enjoy!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
You can, if you wish, build a small fire in the SFB and grill in it as well. I probably won't, as I can't feed my family with a cooking area that small.
I have the same set-up. For a large BBQ, I figured I could use the SFB for burgers and dogs, meanwhile keeping any smoked foods on the main grill area. I'd use my gas grill for veggies and buns so everything wouldn't have the "smokey" flavor.

I use the lid all the time on the SFB to feed the fire...hmmm...tomato tomahto.
__________________

__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.