"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
View Poll Results: How often to do grill?
Once a week or less. 9 36.00%
Two or three times a week. 15 60.00%
Four to six times a week. 1 4.00%
Once a day. 0 0%
More than once a day. 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
I love to grill and living in florida you can pretty much do it year round... I have to say I probably do it 4-6 times a week,(that sounds a little dirty ) it just to damn hot to do things in the oven...
I love grilling too (i love it more when others do it) but I only do it about four times a year...in fact, I can't even remember the last time I did it...how do you think that makes ME sound?

I use charcoal but wasn't exactly by choice. I'm intimidated by gas grills with the sounds of hissing and clicking and all. I bought a monster-size that was twice the size of me...$chi-ching$...and felt like it owned me instead of the other way around...so I gave it away after a few tries.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I love grilling too (i love it more when others do it) but I only do it about four times a year...in fact, I can't even remember the last time I did it...how do you think that makes ME sound?

I use charcoal but wasn't exactly by choice. I'm intimidated by gas grills with the sounds of hissing and clicking and all. I bought a monster-size that was twice the size of me...$chi-ching$...and felt like it owned me instead of the other way around...so I gave it away after a few tries.
GIRL me thinks you should have kept that monster-sized thing with all its hissing and clicking, and just done it more often...

Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #23
Flour Child

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat - teehee.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	8138  

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Ugh - I know this is just a personal preference thing, but I could NEVER warm up to a gas grill. To me, gas grilling isn't "grilling"; it's just moving your gas stove outside - lol! What, exactly, is the difference? Zip. You're cooking on a gas stove. Outside. LOL!!
I agree with you 100% on this one Breezy !!

Andy, when you invent a gas grill that can produce the true flavor of a charcoal grill, you'll be in Bill Gates league. So far, it's not been done.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
Master Chef

I'm sure there are settle differences in flavor but I can't tell the difference between my gas and charcoal grills. My burgers, ribs, and chicken all taste the same to me.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Part of the enjoyment I get from grilling is building the fire. Getting the coals where I want them is all part of the process.

I do use propane on our boat as I don't want to deal with charcoal and blowing embers on a boat.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #27
Sous Chef

I didn't vote cause my mood changes. But, since I'm in Fl. I do it as much as I want. I can't stand gas/propane. It makes the food taste funny/gross. IMO. If I want it to taste like something besides what it is, I'll had some wood to the charcoal for the smoke flavor.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

i voted 2 to 3 times a week, but that's from april to november. it goes down to once a week or two in the winter.

as far as grills go, i reluctantly gave in, joined the dark side and got a gas grill.

imo, there is most certainly a difference in flavour between gas and charcoal. you get some smoke from gas, and a particular char that sort of defines grilling. but charcoal, especially lump hardwood, adds an unmistakable extra taste that can't be produced with burning wood.
gas is just enough, however, to make the convenience of it well worth it.

and if you breath in the burning gas, you sound like darth vader.

both methods, though, are most certainly unlike "moving your oven outside", unless you have a grill in your oven.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #29
Master Chef

What I said was, that in my opinion, it wasn't any different from moving your gas STOVE outside. Not your OVEN. Big difference.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
What I said was, that in my opinion, it wasn't any different from moving your gas STOVE outside. Not your OVEN. Big difference.
Either way, I think you're way off.