I need a new charcoal grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm looking for suggestions for a new charcoal grill. No gas, I already have a large 5 burner gas grill.
What I need is about 500 sq in of main grill space, cast iron grates, adjustable fire box (able to raise and lower charcoal), completely removable firebox and ash pan without having to remove cooking grates (for easy, fast clean-up), and well built.
I already have one brand/model in mind but it's kinda pricey.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

How will you use it...mostly? What do you want to cook? There are some very nice charcoal 'grills' on the market, that tend to be pricey...If all you want do do is grill burgers, chicken etc...they can be very expensive platforms for that purpose.

Thanks, I looked at the CG Pro but you can only access the ash pan and coal grate from the top only after removing the cooking grates. I'm looking at something that I can completely pull out from the side.

Hmmm. I wonder how they would make a removeable ash pan that's adjustable at the same time.

How will you use it...mostly? What do you want to cook? There are some very nice charcoal 'grills' on the market, that tend to be pricey...If all you want do do is grill burgers, chicken etc...they can be very expensive platforms for that purpose.

I'll be using it for chickens/burgers to steaks to racks of ribs. Smoking is not an important feature. Ease and range of fire box adjustment (being able to really sear meats) and quick clean-up are important features I'm looking for.

Hmmm. I wonder how they would make a removeable ash pan that's adjustable at the same time.

Hasty Bake Legacy 131 is one grill I'm looking at. The ash pan and fire box are completely removable independent of the raising/lowering mechanism.
But like I said, it's quite a pricey grill. But on the other hand, since I've been grilling more often lately (at least 3x weekly) and will most likely do so year round, investing in a grill such as this might be worth it.

Have you seen the Vidalia Grill?

This grill does it all. Check it out on their website
My brother has one and everything off this grill is great. You have your choice of how you want to cook, gas, wood or charcoal.

This grill does it all. Check it out on their website
My brother has one and everything off this grill is great. You have your choice of how you want to cook, gas, wood or charcoal.

That's a very nice grill but I already have a large gas grill. I only recently got bitten by the charcoal bug. Who knows, I might one day sell my gas monster.

What fuel do you use?

I use my little $20 portable grill on a regular basis. In fact, I haven't even used my gas grill since it ran out of propane a few months ago.

Using Cowboy Lump Charchoal, I only need to clean out the grill every 8-10th use since the lump burns down to nothing. I used matchlight briquettes during my race on Sunday and had to empty the ash out after one use.

I'm surprised the Cobb grill users haven't posted yet :LOL:

That does look like a nifty little grill though. I need something that can double as a smoker.

Lowe's (and for that matter, I'd bet Home Depot) has a good selection of charcoal grills. If I were in the market for one, I'd look there. I've noticed one that looks like it meets your specs.:cool:

I've looked at the ones from Lowe's and HD. There is one model at Lowe's (their house brand I believe, BBQ Grillware) which almost has the features I'm looking for but the internal crank mechanism for raising and lowering the firebox seem like it can bind and eventually stop working.

I've been using lump charcoal as well as charcoal, sometimes a combination of both. Yes, I've noticed lump charcoal leaves far less ashes.

Best Charcoal Grill

My wife, bless her heart, bought me a Weber Ranch Kettle. It is about the same price you are looking at for your other grill. I have used this for everything including smoking ribs, steaks, Jamaican jerk chicken. It is huge and you can control temperature by the same method of weber kettle also by placing food on other side away from heat source. It is the best Charcoal grill I have ever owned and I have owned a few different ones. If you are going to spend that much money I would recommend this grill.

:chef:

Back
Top Bottom