"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 10-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
I ain't pregnant and the rest of it don't scare me, Unca. Let's eat smoked barbeque!!!
With all of the talk about "smoking" I thought about one inhaling the smoke from smoldering tobacco leaves...One who "smokes"...a "Smoker" etc.....Now I see it's BBQ that is the subject...not smokers and smoking!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Head Chef

Well, why didn't you ask me about THAT one, pacanis?

I have two WSM's and they are all I use in competitions.

It's a wonderful "machine", when you know how to use it!

Lee

Old 10-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Well, why didn't you ask me about THAT one, pacanis?

I have two WSM's and they are all I use in competitions.

It's a wonderful "machine", when you know how to use it!

Lee
Well, why didn't you say I would probably be happier with a WSM?

I'm really looking forward to getting it.

UB, are you saying they are actually called barbequers and not smokers? I guess I figured if the verbage was to smoke, or smoking, that the noun must be smoker.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
Sous Chef

When y'all cook it low and slow, it's called smokin'. When y'all eats it, it's called barbeque. Even a Yankee should be able to figure that one out. Go to the #1 in Lexington, NC and eat for yourself. You'll see. (and don't forget to take home some of the sauce!)
Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacanis
UB, are you saying they are actually called barbequers and not smokers? I guess I figured if the verbage was to smoke, or smoking, that the noun must be smoker.

Fred… I personally prefer the term Cooker, BBQ Pit, BBQ Grill, almost anything but "Smoker" and "Smoking"... IMO...The terms have led to a total misunderstanding, and to continuous confusion, about the method of cooking called BBQ. The absolute number one mistake the newcomer, the uninformed, and sadly many of the old timers make is over smoking the meat. I am convinced that one of the main causes of over smoking is the term "Smoking" erroneously used as a synonym for BBQ…The term “Smoker” implies that the meat is smoked which is far from the truth. Is it any wonder that every year literally tons, of meat are burnt/blackened upon the Alters of Confusion, and Misunderstanding??

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase of the WSM. Follow the wise counsel of Miss Lee (Qsis) as she walks you through the proper use of your new Cooker. In no time you will be enjoying BBQed Ribs, BBQed Chicken, and BBQed Pork Butts etc.

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting. I can certainly respect the correct terminology, but wonder if it's a regional thing, or Yankee thing as Dave implies. In the supermarkets around here if something is sold already cooked and with BBQ sauce on it, is is called barbequed. If it was cooked in a smoke... err, "pit", low and slow and with smoke added, it is sold as "smoked". As in smoked whitefish, or smoked turky breast.
I will try to choose my words wisely. On that other forum I noticed the word "pit" mentioned quite a bit. I thought they were referring to something a bit more built in, like an outdoor kitchen with some kind of brick "pit" used for smoking. Now I know they were referring to any kind of cooker.

Heck, I'm still working on my dicing, chopping, mincing terminology
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Fred...I don't think it is a regional thing at all...Up until around 30-40+ years ago the terms "Smoker" and "Smoking" were not used that often in the Lexicon of BBQ. The first BBQ pits were just that...pits (holes) dug in the ground. It didn't talk long to figure out that these pits were not very portable, and were a lot of hard work... Later above ground pits became popular...Many 1940-1950 Era families had BBQ pits in their backyard made from brick and mortar...Road side restaurants that dotted the landscape of the South that advertised/served Real Pit BBQ often used large above ground pits made from Cinder blocks and mortar... IMO the best BBQ that was ever (still is)cooked was/is on pits of this type...meat cooked over the slow heat of wood coals. After WWII, Ex-GI's and shipyeard welders began to fashion BBQ Pits out of 55 Gallon drums. They cut them up into every shape and design imagineable. Holes in the ground, and bricks and mortar pits were no longer needed. The race was on..Sheet metal pits (grills) blossomed like spring flowers. Companies sprang up and fortunes were made. Somewhere in there someone made an appliance and called it a "Smoker" ...."Smoking" obviously soon followed.... So the terms became a part of the modern day lexicon of BBQ....Incorrect terminology?? No! It is Just terminology I persoanally choose not to use due to the reasons (and others) already stated.... IMO your palate would be better served if you learn to BBQ rather than "smoke"...

Best of Luck!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Well since I stopped smoking.... my palate has indeed been better served

I kind of like to stick to the phrases I am used to hearing. If I took a hunk of meat over to my father's and told him and the rest of my small family that I BBQed it, when they know I have a cooker (or pit) that smokes, they would ask me if I still used my "smoker", thinking I cooked it on my propane grill instead.

I guess "pit" is one of those throwback terms. Like when people call fiberglass ductboard "GB", or a common painkiller an aspirin, even though it may not contain aspirin. By your information, which was very interesting BTW, it sounds like there used to be true pits, which is what I currently thought of when readin the term pit, but people adapted it to more modern applications and now call anything that BBQs a pit.

Some habits die hard
Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #19
Head Chef

Hey pacanis,
Has your WSM arrived yet? Can't wait to hear some reviews.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi John
I'm doing my first break-in burn as I type this. Still waiting to see how long it takes to get and maintain a temp (only been going 30 minutes or so), testing out my digital probes, seeing how long the charcoal will last, and the ssmoke chips.... all that good stuff.

I plan on doing a small brisket tomorrow!