"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #31
Senior Cook

When cooking a very small piece of a brisket time est are no good, they are based on cooking a brisket from 7-8 to 15 pounds in size. Connective tissue needs time to break down because it is a very small brisket the time to weight ratio don't work.

I will say that 13 hours was a lot longer than normally needed but I believe that was linked to fire control problems.

Jim

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

oops, did I say 13 hours somewhere..... It went on the grate at 11:30 and onto the gasser at 6:50. I just checked my log. It took about 1 hour on the gasser to reach 192F.

How long do you think to do a 2-3/4lb Boston Butt? That's going to be my next attempt.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I use the smoker 365. Even shoveled a path of snow to use it. I keep the fire pretty hot and use the vents to control the temp. A SFB makes a great leg warmer.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
How long do you think to do a 2-3/4lb Boston Butt? That's going to be my next attempt.
Until it reaches an internal temperature of 190*-195* There are too many variabiles (weather related and fire control) to BBQ by the clock.....Go ahead and cook an 8 or 9 lb. butt...With the bone out... plus shrinkage...you'll eat it up pretty quickly...It freezes well.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Until it reaches an internal temperature of 190*-195* There are to many variabiles (weather related and fire control) to BBQ by the clock.
I guess that's the main thing I don't understand about pit cooking.... why are there so many outside variables that affect how long it takes for the meat to reach the correct internal temp? There isn't when I cook indirectly on the gas grill.
It seems to me that these variables would affect keeping the temp of the cooker constant, but not the meat being cooked. What difference does it make to the food if it's 40 and raining or 70 degrees and sunny, as long as the pit temp is kept constant?

You all know I cook by feel, but not being able to narrow down the finish time +- a few hours.... that boggles my mind How could anyone plan on having people over for some Q if you have no idea if the meat will be done that day or not Unless you cheat and finish it like I did.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Ok...at 225*-250* cooker temperature.. figure on 1.5 hours (+or-) per pound for a full size (8-10lb) butt! For partial sizes (2-3-4 lbs) I don't have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
What difference does it make to the food if it's 40 and raining or 70 degrees and sunny, as long as the pit temp is kept constant?
To the meat..None... To you...a lot. How well you maintain a constant temperature (Fire Control) is the key. The weather affects your ability to maintain that constant temperature. You will find it more of a challenge when it's 35*, North wind at 15 MPH, and misting rain than when it's 80* Calm winds, and sunshine...HTH

PS...When it's windy move your cooker out of the wind.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. I knew there must be a time frame or how could you ever have these competitions if no one knew when the food was going to be ready. I just need to get some consistent fuel and get a handle on my fire control.
I picked a fine time to learn how to Q.... what with the weather changing on a daily basis (lol).
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #38
Head Chef

thats part of the fun, pacanis ..
and UB is dead on ... brisket is hard to do ..
i started out with leg quarters .. they are inexpensive
and i kept a journal .. still do .. i write down everything ..
and i look at it like this .. i spend the day outside and usually
the whole family follows and we make a day out of it ...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. I knew there must be a time frame or how could you ever have these competitions if no one knew when the food was going to be ready. I just need to get some consistent fuel and get a handle on my fire control.
I picked a fine time to learn how to Q.... what with the weather changing on a daily basis (lol).
Pacanis, in competition, and in the backyard, we plan for the meats to be done WELL ahead of eating time.

At competitions, there are no ovens, so we wrap the meats in saran wrap and heavy duty foil and hold them in an empty cooler until turn-in. You have to keep the temp at 140 or above and this method will accomplish that.

At home the same thing will work, or you could hold the meat in the oven at the very lowest setting (mine goes down to 170).

Since I no longer like to cook meat overnight at home, I always plan on starting the big cuts on the smoker in the morning, and eating something like ribs for dinner on the nights that I'm smoking a brisket or butts. That way, we can eat whenever we want, and let the big cuts of meat go from say 10 a.m. to 8 or 9 pm., without rushing them. The butts and/or brisket are pulled and/or wrapped to be reheated for dinners another night.

Lee
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Pacanis, in competition, and in the backyard, we plan for the meats to be done WELL ahead of eating time.

At competitions, there are no ovens, so we wrap the meats in saran wrap and heavy duty foil and hold them in an empty cooler until turn-in. You have to keep the temp at 140 or above and this method will accomplish that.

At home the same thing will work, or you could hold the meat in the oven at the very lowest setting (mine goes down to 170).

Since I no longer like to cook meat overnight at home, I always plan on starting the big cuts on the smoker in the morning, and eating something like ribs for dinner on the nights that I'm smoking a brisket or butts. That way, we can eat whenever we want, and let the big cuts of meat go from say 10 a.m. to 8 or 9 pm., without rushing them. The butts and/or brisket are pulled and/or wrapped to be reheated for dinners another night.

Lee
I was going to do half a butt next, but I will start it a lot earlier and still shoot for eating it that day. I'll keep it warm in a cooler if I get lucky and it's done early. I don't know if I could cook something all day, only to wrap it up and stick it in the fridge for the next day. Plus I just want to stick to cooking one thing at a time until I get a handle on this.

Thank, Lee