"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
So in essence you could have made new track and replaced the tray somewhow, right? Sounds like it make have been bad design though. Mine has a tray that slides out, and it is out in the rain in coastal (humid!) Virginia. It's still very solid. I figure if the grill lasts 5-6 years I'm way ahead. I will no doubt want a new grill then anyway.

I considered reattaching the tray but thought I'd rather have a new grill.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #22
Senior Cook

the costco idea was a good one that i had actually previously thought of....i searched on the site and it seems that they arent offering many grills now
does anyone have any experience with a grill from costco? if they could give me an idea of brand and prices, i could at least look up reviews...would also be nice to know when they start selling them

Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
the costco idea was a good one that i had actually previously thought of....i searched on the site and it seems that they arent offering many grills now
does anyone have any experience with a grill from costco? if they could give me an idea of brand and prices, i could at least look up reviews...would also be nice to know when they start selling them
BBQ Source Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)

That site has a lot of good info on different manufactures, who makes what and if you can get parts or not. More info than you will get here.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
I would go into the local Costco if I could. If they happen to have a lonely grill sitting there they will be wanting to move it, and probably would take ridiculously low price no matter what it was marked at. The website is not always indicative of what is in the store. I would ask for a price reduction no matter where I was though. The US is probably the only country where we just pay retail with no bargaining involved. Go for a deal!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My Weber rusted out after ten years. I balked at paying so much for a new Weber so a year and a half ago I bought a Ducane. Ducane is owned by Weber. I paid $300 for a three burner gas grill with SS grill grates that gets way hotter than you need.

The quality and construction of the Ducane is not on a par with the Weber but I am happy with it so far.

The one thing I do not like about the Weber is that the three burners run left to right rather than the usual front to back. This gives you a long narrow area for indirect cooking rather than a wider though shorter space more suitable for indirect roasting or smoking.
I love my Genesis, and I'd buy another one if needed no matter what the price is now. I keep it covered when not in use, but I haven't had to replace anything to date, not even the flavor bars. The cast iron grates season up nicely and seem as solid today as they were when I bought it. The only thing I've done is buy a second gas bottle so I always have a full one on hand.

I have even figured out how to smoke and slow cook ribs on my Weber. Takes a bit of care, but the results are worth it.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I bought a home last year and was in the market for a grill.

I highly recommend the Char Griller (not Char Broil)!

I got mine at Lowe's for $189 it is their propane version. It is in my opinion the best built grill for the money. Everything about this grill is heavy duty. The grates are enamel coated cast iron, which is great for those nice grill lines.

This grill gets ripping hot, searing meats no problem. I have also used just the one burner with wood chips wrapped in foil for the best smoked ribs, the grill held 250 degrees very well for smoking.

So far I have had zero issues with it, and the igniters still work well. You can buy absolutely every piece of this grill online from the manufacturer to replace anything that you wear out.

As you can tell I love this grill!

Char Griller - Char-Griller BBQ Grills and Smokers
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #27
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have a Chargriller charcoal grill. So far so good. I have had a few problems with it but the customer support people have been real nice and quickly send parts if there are problems.

They do make a gas/charcoal grill as well.