"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Um, guys ... I was asking about the rotisserie more so than the actual grill it self.
I did mention that I've had no problem whatsoever with my Weber rotisserie, and have owned it for 4 years now. Granted, it's the larger model with a longer shaft that fits my grill, but it's the same motor, the same mount, etc.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I'll add to the off topic discussion with the other guys. I don't know how cold it gets in the part of AZ you are moving to, but if you are planning on cold weather grilling, you might want to go with a 3 burner grill. I have a 20 year old Weber with 3 burners. 25 F with no wind is about the lowest temperature I can grill at. It takes a bit to get the grill back up to temperature after opening the lid. I'll guess that 35 or 40 would be the lowest temperature I could grill at with 2 burners.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

K-girl, I suggested a different grill because of your comment regarding issues with the rotisserie attachment. Also my experience with two burner Webers suggests the heat level is marginal.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
K-girl, I suggested a different grill because of your comment regarding issues with the rotisserie attachment. Also my experience with two burner Webers suggests the heat level is marginal.
I'd lean with Andy on this too. I'd never have fewer than 3 burners on a gas grill any more. I need the flexibility for direct and indirect cooking that a minimum of 3 gives. I had a Weber Genesis and I loved it. Now I have a Dyna-Glo 5 burner and it's better than the 3 burner Weber as far as the cooking options. I couldn't justify Weber's premium price this last time, so I shopped around. So far it's been a good decision.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
Master Chef

ISO Rotisserie For My New LPG Grill

Basically, from what l've read and understood on other BBQ forums is that the Weber 2 burner grills are not rotisserie friendly, regardless of rotisserie brand.

I use a Weber rotisserie on my Weber charcoal kettle and on my ugly drum smoker.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I'll add to the off topic discussion with the other guys. I don't know how cold it gets in the part of AZ you are moving to, but if you are planning on cold weather grilling, you might want to go with a 3 burner grill. I have a 20 year old Weber with 3 burners. 25 F with no wind is about the lowest temperature I can grill at. It takes a bit to get the grill back up to temperature after opening the lid. I'll guess that 35 or 40 would be the lowest temperature I could grill at with 2 burners.
tenspeed, the average temps in our new neck of the woods range from 37-77 F, with lowest temps on record were 9 degrees F.
I could probably handle being out of doors, grilling, as low as 35-30 with no wind...beyond that, we'll eat out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Basically, from what l've read and understood on other BBQ forums is that the Weber 2 burner grills are not rotisserie friendly, regardless of rotisserie brand.

I use a Weber rotisserie on my Weber charcoal kettle and on my ugly drum smoker.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
roadfix, you bring up a very good point! My husband has been trying to get me off of the idea of using a rotisserie, so I suppose he's won that debate, as I would rather not get the 3 burner gas grill.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
tenspeed, the average temps in our new neck of the woods range from 37-77 F, with lowest temps on record were 9 degrees F.
I could probably handle being out of doors, grilling, as low as 35-30 with no wind...beyond that, we'll eat out!

roadfix, you bring up a very good point! My husband has been trying to get me off of the idea of using a rotisserie, so I suppose he's won that debate, as I would rather not get the 3 burner gas grill.
Unlike those cheapos at the home improvement stores, a Weber should last a long, long time. I've had mine for over 20 years, and have only had to replace the grates and flavor bars. If at some point over the next couple decades you decide you really do want the rotisserie, you might regret not having a grill that will accept it.

I usually don't stand outside while grilling in the winter. I have the grill on the patio facing the sliders. I keep an eye on the thermometer, but I pretty much know where the dials need to be set at any temperature. That also means that I only have to keep a portion of the patio free of snow.

Tags
grill