"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #11
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Um, guys ... I was asking about the rotisserie more so than the actual grill it self.
I did mention that I've had no problem whatsoever with my Weber rotisserie, and have owned it for 4 years now. Granted, it's the larger model with a longer shaft that fits my grill, but it's the same motor, the same mount, etc.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 796
I'll add to the off topic discussion with the other guys. I don't know how cold it gets in the part of AZ you are moving to, but if you are planning on cold weather grilling, you might want to go with a 3 burner grill. I have a 20 year old Weber with 3 burners. 25 F with no wind is about the lowest temperature I can grill at. It takes a bit to get the grill back up to temperature after opening the lid. I'll guess that 35 or 40 would be the lowest temperature I could grill at with 2 burners.
__________________

__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,343
K-girl, I suggested a different grill because of your comment regarding issues with the rotisserie attachment. Also my experience with two burner Webers suggests the heat level is marginal.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
K-girl, I suggested a different grill because of your comment regarding issues with the rotisserie attachment. Also my experience with two burner Webers suggests the heat level is marginal.
I'd lean with Andy on this too. I'd never have fewer than 3 burners on a gas grill any more. I need the flexibility for direct and indirect cooking that a minimum of 3 gives. I had a Weber Genesis and I loved it. Now I have a Dyna-Glo 5 burner and it's better than the 3 burner Weber as far as the cooking options. I couldn't justify Weber's premium price this last time, so I shopped around. So far it's been a good decision.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
ISO Rotisserie For My New LPG Grill

Basically, from what l've read and understood on other BBQ forums is that the Weber 2 burner grills are not rotisserie friendly, regardless of rotisserie brand.

I use a Weber rotisserie on my Weber charcoal kettle and on my ugly drum smoker.


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I'll add to the off topic discussion with the other guys. I don't know how cold it gets in the part of AZ you are moving to, but if you are planning on cold weather grilling, you might want to go with a 3 burner grill. I have a 20 year old Weber with 3 burners. 25 F with no wind is about the lowest temperature I can grill at. It takes a bit to get the grill back up to temperature after opening the lid. I'll guess that 35 or 40 would be the lowest temperature I could grill at with 2 burners.
tenspeed, the average temps in our new neck of the woods range from 37-77 F, with lowest temps on record were 9 degrees F.
I could probably handle being out of doors, grilling, as low as 35-30 with no wind...beyond that, we'll eat out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Basically, from what l've read and understood on other BBQ forums is that the Weber 2 burner grills are not rotisserie friendly, regardless of rotisserie brand.

I use a Weber rotisserie on my Weber charcoal kettle and on my ugly drum smoker.


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
roadfix, you bring up a very good point! My husband has been trying to get me off of the idea of using a rotisserie, so I suppose he's won that debate, as I would rather not get the 3 burner gas grill.
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #17
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
tenspeed, the average temps in our new neck of the woods range from 37-77 F, with lowest temps on record were 9 degrees F.
I could probably handle being out of doors, grilling, as low as 35-30 with no wind...beyond that, we'll eat out!

roadfix, you bring up a very good point! My husband has been trying to get me off of the idea of using a rotisserie, so I suppose he's won that debate, as I would rather not get the 3 burner gas grill.
Unlike those cheapos at the home improvement stores, a Weber should last a long, long time. I've had mine for over 20 years, and have only had to replace the grates and flavor bars. If at some point over the next couple decades you decide you really do want the rotisserie, you might regret not having a grill that will accept it.

I usually don't stand outside while grilling in the winter. I have the grill on the patio facing the sliders. I keep an eye on the thermometer, but I pretty much know where the dials need to be set at any temperature. That also means that I only have to keep a portion of the patio free of snow.
__________________

__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grill

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.