"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Cook

I'm curious. The firebox looks like a piece of gas transmission line pipe. What was the smoke chamber originally intended to be? Please don't answer if you violate your 5th amendment rights. That is one "smokin" barbeque / grill / smoker though. I am envious.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Head Chef

bbally,
Totally cool cooker! Plus going out for powdercoat to boot!!
Are you going lay fire brick on top of that bottom baffle to help maintain and distribute an even temp across the length of the cooker? Sure is impressive..

Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Master Chef

I share Uncle Bob's concern about how this will cook with the stack right next to the firebox. IMHO - the majority of the heat and smoke will never cross the meat - it's just going to go up the stack and the food on the far end is going to be cold and lacking in smoke compared to the food on the firebox end. Move the stack to the far end away from the firebox and the heat and smoke will be drawn all the way through the smoker ... and be more even - both smoke and temp.

Otherwise - it looks like lovely workmanship!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
Head Chef

From what I see in the pics, it looks like pic #3 shows a flat baffle with small v-cut outs on the edge. Pic #7 shows the firebox hung at approx the 1/3 bottom level of the cooker. There also appears to be heat marks from welding along the bottom 1/3 of the cooker. So if bbally attached his fire box to the right side of his cooker and positioned the opening below the baffle, and then left a gap in the baffle at the left side of the cooker, the the heat would travel from the fire box on the right, under the baffle (distributing the heat evenly from right to left), the smoke would then enter the cooking chamber from the gap on the left side of the baffle and travel across the cooking chamber to the chimney mounted on the right side of the cooker.
I know I'm not explaining this very well, but just take a close look at the pics.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #15
Senior Cook

It's called a reverse flow unit, the heat and smoke is moved from firebox to the other end of the pit and then released into the main chamber and back the firebox end of the cooker and out the stack. The advantage is said to be even temps in the cooking chamber.

Jim
Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Thanks for the info, Jim.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion View Post
It's called a reverse flow unit, the heat and smoke is moved from firebox to the other end of the pit and then released into the main chamber and back the firebox end of the cooker and out the stack. The advantage is said to be even temps in the cooking chamber.

Jim
So the cooking chamber consists of an upper section and lower section? The lower section feeding the smoke/heat evenly through the "V" notches?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
I'm curious. The firebox looks like a piece of gas transmission line pipe. What was the smoke chamber originally intended to be? Please don't answer if you violate your 5th amendment rights. That is one "smokin" barbeque / grill / smoker though. I am envious.
The fire box is a 28 inch gas main line. We are doing the testing of a lot of the high pressure lines in Colorado. So this unused piece gave its life in the name of smoked meats!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
So the cooking chamber consists of an upper section and lower section? The lower section feeding the smoke/heat evenly through the "V" notches?
The cooking chamber has a baffle all the way across the cook chamber, the heat flows from the firebox across the chamber heating the plate, the infrared is then passed onto the meat from the baffle plate. There is a 14 inch gap at the far (non stack) end of the chamber to allow the smoke to roll up and over the meat to the stack.

Inside the stack has a depth adjustment, allowing me to control the smoke depth in the cooking chamber by raising and lowering the excape stack placement. This allows me to control hard smoke to light smoke while still maintaining temperature at optimal maillard reaction temperatures.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I share Uncle Bob's concern about how this will cook with the stack right next to the firebox.
I think if you read Unclebobs post he says the stack on the same side as the firebox lets him know how it cooks.

Meaning reverse flow indirect heat method.