It had to be done, so it has been started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cooking chamber has a baffle all the way across the cook chamber, the heat flows from the firebox across the chamber heating the plate, the infrared is then passed onto the meat from the baffle plate. There is a 14 inch gap at the far (non stack) end of the chamber to allow the smoke to roll up and over the meat to the stack.

Inside the stack has a depth adjustment, allowing me to control the smoke depth in the cooking chamber by raising and lowering the excape stack placement. This allows me to control hard smoke to light smoke while still maintaining temperature at optimal maillard reaction temperatures.

I have a couple questions, if you don't mind.

The area of the "gap" at the far end of the chamber, is that the same area as the opening to the side fire box? Or larger or smaller?

How much space is between the cooking grates and the heating plate?

Can you take a pic of the inside of the stack where the depth adjustment is?

On my Chargriller, I always have that hot spot near the opening to the SFB. I usually just put the thicker part of the meat in that area. I could modify it to work like yours and get more even temps throughout the chamber.

I have a couple questions, if you don't mind.
The area of the "gap" at the far end of the chamber, is that the same area as the opening to the side fire box? Or larger or smaller?

30 percent larger than the firebox gap.

How much space is between the cooking grates and the heating plate?

11 inches is the spacing I use.

Yes I will do that today for you and post it tonight.

On my Chargriller, I always have that hot spot near the opening to the SFB. I usually just put the thicker part of the meat in that area. I could modify it to work like yours and get more even temps throughout the chamber.

The design of the cooking chamber is at fault for an End Roll hot spot. The chamber must be long enough that most of the infrared energy is transferred to the plate. Thus making the heat left in the smoke convection the same temp as the entire cooking chamber.

I can write up the formula for that if you need it. I am also an engineer.

The design of the cooking chamber is at fault for an End Roll hot spot. The chamber must be long enough that most of the infrared energy is transferred to the plate. Thus making the heat left in the smoke convection the same temp as the entire cooking chamber.

I can write up the formula for that if you need it. I am also an engineer.

What would you need from me, just all the measurements?

Ok so I designed a sliding sleeve, which allows me to adjust the depth of the smoke the meat it receiving.

The further along people get in curing and smoking the more into control you get to create the perfect product. For about 10 years now my systems have all featured smoke depth control.

This is it in the highest position for light smoke.

highsmoke.jpg

And this is with it set for the deepest smoke concentration.

deepsmoke.jpg

I have a couple of t-locks on it to hold the position I want for the amount of smoke I want to get.

When this is applied to the Papain technique it produces amazing results.

Interesting.

At it's lowest setting, it looks like it's just above the cooking grates?

Thanks again for the pics.

Back
Top Bottom