"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Head Chef

It has begun

I started about an hour ago with the smoke out. The mesquite lump seems pretty good. low smoke and no mesquite flavor yet. I am using 3 pieces of apple wood chunks and 1 hickory chunk.

We will see how long i can get the fuel to last if i dont play with the smoker. I tend to treat the smoker like a bug bite. I always have to scratch it..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smoking  pork butt.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	7120   Click image for larger version

Name:	250 degrees.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	7121  

Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Wow how cool is that,I'm goin have to get one of those,How often do check the temp and do you need to keep adding what in there ,what are you smoking?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichip View Post
Wow how cool is that,I'm goin have to get one of those,How often do check the temp and do you need to keep adding what in there ,what are you smoking?
I check the temp every half hour because i have no contorl over airflow because no airvents. I am trying to mod it so i can add some vents to get the fuel to last longer than 1.5 hours. Right now i am at 245 and its been 1 hour 20 minutes. I am trying to get two hours out of one chimney of mesquite lump charcoal and kingsford briquettes. I used 3 chunks apple wood and 1 chunk hickory
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

So far i have over 2 hours on me coals and its about 215 220 so i have started another batch.

I just got a call from a guy named "T" who is a 3 time national bbq champ. He wants me to come to his resteraunt this saturday for an over night smoke. A whole pig, brisket, butts and ribs. He told me to bring my smoker. i told him that it was a 50$ cheapo but he said he wants it to be there.

Kind of an interesting day today.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I'm so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanx. im not as nervous as i was last night. LOLOL. i got 2.2 hours out of one chimney of fuel. I had it at 2.5 hours but that was to long because my temps dropped to 200 and i had to wait 25 minutes to get the coal up and runnin.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Cook

Here's a hint. If you need to build heat fast (in the winter or when you add new charcoal) try an electric leaf blower spaced with the discharge nozzle a couple of feet away from the open bottom. It doesn't take long to get the fire burnin! A minute or two at the absolute most. Sometimes you will get ash dust but most will be stopped by the water drip tray. Sometimes you just make noise. Gasoline power can produce fumes that can alter taste. But hey, it's a guy thing. Let us know how it all turns out. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Here's a hint. If you need to build heat fast (in the winter or when you add new charcoal) try an electric leaf blower spaced with the discharge nozzle a couple of feet away from the open bottom. It doesn't take long to get the fire burnin! A minute or two at the absolute most. Sometimes you will get ash dust but most will be stopped by the water drip tray. Sometimes you just make noise. Gasoline power can produce fumes that can alter taste. But hey, it's a guy thing. Let us know how it all turns out. Good luck.
ok i will try that out. I have a 1 inch hole in the bottom of the pan and thats it for air flow

in the picture you see the base pan with the hole and then the coal pan that fits in the base pan. I added 4 bolts to the coal pan and added a grate to the pan so that the ash doesnt smoother the coal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	moded coal pan.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	7122  
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Head Chef

So far it has been on there almost 6 hours and still not done. Its only 2.8 pounds of pork. the second batch of coal has lasted me almost 3 - 3.5 hours.

i did not let all 4 chunks of wood burn up all the way. after 1.5 hours i took them off so i wouldnt over smoke. The hickory chunk hardly burned but the three apple chunks turned to charcoal so i removed them as well.

thanx for all the help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pulled pork.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	7123  
Old 04-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

LT, haven't seen you around for awhile. So is the rumour true that you hibernate when it isn't grilling/smoker season? LOL!!

Sounds great and looks delicious.Glad you are having fun!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote