Jerky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Ok, jerky is my next experiment. What cut of meat should I buy? I have a marinade/brine recipe but no idea what cut of meat to buy. Just something cheap?

I'll pick up something on the way home from work......

Attachments

• roadkill.jpg
    roadkill.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 282
I never made Jerky, but Flank stake should work nicely. Of course it is only a guess, cince i do not eat flank, it is not kosher, so what do I know...

I saw a Good Eats where AB used flank steak. I think brisket would also work. You want a cut with little fat.

Ken, you are gross. (And anything you "pick up" on the way home would likely be "mall rat" major ewww!)

Charlie, is flank steak like blade steak? I haven't seen that label in the store.

Ah, thanks Andy. Is it better to buy it in roast form? Easier to cut that way?

Aha, so I was right then, good.

Brisket might be too tough, might be... Here if you go to a butcher they will slice for you. Do you have to slice it pretty thinly, right? It is not that hard to slice flank, just throw it in the freezer until it starts getting frozen but not frozen yet. The knife will cut it thru like thru the butter.

I’m not sure what other name it goes buy. Maybe some body else does. But quick Internet search shows this:

“Definition: The flank steak is technically not a steak, but has become so popular in the last few decades that it can't be ignored. The flank is the belly muscle of the cow and is typically cut into small pieces. The flank is very flavorful but contains almost no fat and will be tough pretty much no matter how you cook it.
The flank steak became very popular with mainstream introduction of fajitas. Traditionally, however, this is actually the steak known for the dish London broil. “

If that the case brisket will work too. Looks like they come from the same part of cow. Just the flank is in the rear half.

Last edited:
Alix, when we make jerky, we use chuck. I usually freeze it pretty firm and use my sharpest knife to nearly shave slices, then put in our marinade. We dry our jerky in our dehydrator. Yum, yum, yummers. Hmmm! This reminds me, we haven't made jerky in a while.

I don't have an answer for you because I have never made it before, but can u make it from anything apart from beef? Do you need to have a dehydrator or can u use the oven?

I don't have an answer for you because I have never made it before, but can u make it from anything apart from beef? Do you need to have a dehydrator or can u use the oven?

Yes, Rom, it can be made in the oven and I would imagine other types of meat would work. Actually, one of our sons, who is an avid hunter, makes venison jerky.

GB explain please.

Also Katie, how firm are we talking here? If it's firm then it is hard, how can yopu cut it?

My plane is about to take off so I will try to be quick. Again the grain makes it tender and fall apart. This I'd good when you are cooking flank for something like fajitas. For jerky you want with the grain so it does not crumble into little pieces.

thanks!
What about lamb? My bf doesn't eat beef or pork. Would Kangaroo meat do it as well?
Never seen lamb jerky lol

Thanks all! I'm going to go look for a chuck roast. GB, thanks for that tip! Its a good thing you mentioned that or I would have gone cross grain. Shopping tomorrow, jerky late in the evening maybe, or at the latest the day after. I'll keep you all posted on my results.

Well I found some rouladen sliced beef at the store. Being a basically lazy sort, I decided to try this out. I brined it (just sugar and salt) and its out in the smoker now. I put in about 1/2 hickory and 1/2 alder. It smells pretty fine and I want some now! However, I don't think I want a faceful of smoke, so I guess I'd better wait. Sigh. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes.

Just about any meat will work to make jerky. We use mostly venison, but I have wild turkey brest I'm going to try. I also make jerky out of ground venion.

Just about any meat will work to make jerky.
Not any cut though. You do not want to make jerky with anything that has a lot of fat. The fat will go rancid and ruin the jerky. Any lean cuts of meat of fish will work though.

Back
Top Bottom