"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Kettlepizza Update

I've brought this thread back to life as I have purchased an update kit for the Weber. We stopped using the original unit because, to be honest, it was dangerous. To add fuel, it was necessary to remove the whole insert section, which took two people messing with a really hot piece.

The upgrade has a form fit rack and pizza stone. It has access to the back and sides to refuel by simply removing the Weber lid. You can use the Weber charcoal baskets in the back and sides. It should be here Saturday and we might give it a spin Sunday.

Cordierite Tombstone and ProGrate for 22.5 Inch KettlePizza Kits - KPPG-22

Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
Head Chef

The upgrade has passed the test, cook wise, safety wise, and ease of use wise. The pizza crust was just as crispy as could be and the focaccia came out pretty well too. Oh, and we didn't have to pre-cook the crusts to get them crispy.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Looks great! How long does it take to preheat and cook and how much charcoal do you use?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #14
Master Chef

Very nice! I like the new feature.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Looks great! How long does it take to preheat and cook and how much charcoal do you use?
Andy, the upgrade uses the Weber charcoal baskets, one in the back that came with the kit and two on either side of the stone. I filled the baskets about 3/4 way up with briquettes and in the back I topped the charcoal with chunks of oak. I didn't want to take a chance damaging the stone, so I lit the coals with a product called "Tumbleweeds". They are basically bundles of straw dipped in parrafin. It took about an hour to get up to temp, 800F, according to the dome thermometer. It probably wasn't necessary, but after the second pizza, I refueled all three baskets with a couple chunks of oak. By the time I put in the third pizza, the temp was off the scale. We waited for the temp to drop around 550F before the focaccia went in. I also put a pan with water over the back basket for moisture.

Today, I fired up the Horizon and have 6 racks of baby bakes going.