"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 04-06-2006, 08:22 AM   #21
Master Chef

Ok.....I know what the chimney thing is.....and thanks Crewsk for the topic I have to go get me one of those as I'm tierd of the whole charcoal coals with lighter fluid on them....half the time they don't light. Anyway, what the heck is this weed burner?

Old 04-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

sizz, it's a long handled torch like thing that you attach to a propane tank. kind of like a flamethrower. you can walk around your garden or driveway and torch the weeds instead of having to pull them.

here's a link: http://www.flameengineering.com/Red_...e_Torch_K.html

i've been wanting to get one for the garden. it seems a bit extreme to use it for starting charcoal tho, imo.

i'm another fan of chimney starters. i have a weber chimney that cost me about $15 or so on sale in sears last year. i will never go back to using lighter fluid. while it's not as much fun to play with, and takes a little longer to start the coals as fluid does, it's far superior for grilling because you don't get any residual chemical taste on your food.

the next step in grilling evolution is using lump hardwood charcoal instead of charcoal briquettes in your chimney starter. lump hardwood coals burn a little hotter, and burns out a little faster, but the food really picks up the wood smoke flavor. and that's half the reason for grilling, isn't it?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #23
Master Chef

[quote=buckytom]sizz, it's a long handled torch like thing that you attach to a propane tank. kind of like a flamethrower. you can walk around your garden or driveway and torch the weeds instead of having to pull them.

i've been wanting to get one for the garden. it seems a bit extreme to use it for starting charcoal tho, imo.

Ohhhh.....now that looks like fun. But for the safety of all those around me I think I better stick with the chimmney . Actually, I was at Lowes and WalMart yesterday and didn't see any at those stores but will keep looking.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
sizz, it's a long handled torch like thing that you attach to a propane tank. kind of like a flamethrower. you can walk around your garden or driveway and torch the weeds instead of having to pull them.

i'm another fan of chimney starters. i have a weber chimney that cost me about $15 or so on sale in sears last year. i will never go back to using lighter fluid. while it's not as much fun to play with, and takes a little longer to start the coals as fluid does, it's far superior for grilling because you don't get any residual chemical taste on your food.

the next step in grilling evolution is using lump hardwood charcoal instead of charcoal briquettes in your chimney starter. lump hardwood coals burn a little hotter, and burns out a little faster, but the food really picks up the wood smoke flavor. and that's half the reason for grilling, isn't it?
I'd still go with the LOX That way Lump Hardword becomes irrelevant!

Besides, I could build one of those torches myself, better in fact!
(Up the pressure, rebalance the mix, warn the neighbors up and down the block....)

Or, USE A PROPANE GRILL!!!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

lol ronjohn.

i'm going out to buy a propane grill this weekend.
dw wants something that she can just go out, light, and cook with quickly, so i'm gonna break down and pick up a small one.

boy howdy, it just ain't right.
i will be able to once again buy propane, and propane accesories tho.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i'm going out to buy a propane grill this weekend.
Yes. Come to the dark side Buckytom.....

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote