"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #21
Cook

Your grill knew when it was time to go. Right at the end of the season. Shop for the best your wallet can afford and don't look back. If you grill a lot you won't regret it. Dealers are lowering prices (though sometimes not by much) to ridthemselves of this year's inventory. Shop around if you have the time. My choice would be stainless. Happy hunting.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
And I know we talked about this before, but I'll mention it again, what steered me away from the Webers, that I was looking at, is that their burners ran left to right rather than front to rear. I can leave off my two middle burners, light the two outer ones, and have a fairly large surface for indirect grilling. The Webers I saw didn't look like they would work as well for indirect.
I don't know how true this is, but I just read something about this a couple of days ago, I don't remember where, but the reason for running them left to right is for more effective convection of heat. I can see the logic behind that given the shape of most gas grills. But I can also definitely see the awkwardness of using the grill for indirect grilling.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

I think someone had said the Weber burners now are front to back rather than side to side.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Yes, my Weber is front to back.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Either way you're in the drivers seat. It's definately a buyers market for those types of things now. I'm going to check out some patio furniture.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think someone had said the Weber burners now are front to back rather than side to side.

Yes, just something you might want to look for, in case they aren't all made that way now.
Or, maybe it is better to have them run the length of the grill like roadfix said.
So in other words, just something else to made deciding which grill harder
Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I couldn't imagine trying to cook with horizontal burners. Especially with chicken thighs, I'm constantly moving them around to cooler areas or trying to avoid flare-ups.

I would have to try out someone elses grill before I would by one like that.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

I bought a new gas grill yesterday. It's being assembled and we are going to get it later. It's a Ducane.

It's a basic gas grill with no frills. SS grate and 36K BTUs from three burners. The next model up was $100 more and you got a side burner and a rotisserie. I've never really missed having either one so I passed.

I chose it over a comparable Weber because of the price, SS grates and the burner positioning. The Weber burners are left to right while the Ducane's are front to back.

I'm hoping I can regulate the temperature low enough with this new grill to do some real low and slow BBQ/smoking.

Thank you all for the good advice.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

There ya go! I've got the 4 burner Afinity, 4100. Good choice.
Like you make have remembred reading me say though, it is HOT. The burners will easily turn the flavor deflectors cherry red and on low can still be a bit too high for smoking, but I make do.

You'll love it once you get used to it!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Looks like a winner!

I kind of like having the option of a side burner for fish, bbq sauce or whatever. But you can still get good results just using the pan right on the grill.

Good luck with it.