"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

My Weber is Beyond All Hope

My Weber gas grill has been a loyal member of the family for over 9 years. Monday night, when I went out to put a flank steak on to cook, the entire bottom fell out.

It's asort of conical aluminum piece that slides into brackets on the bottom of the main box and the grease catcher hangs off it. The brackets/tracks rusted out and are gone.

I'm thinking I need a new grill and will get another Weber gas grill. I do, however, have a question.

What kind of grilling surface do you have and what do you recommend. I'm trying to gather the good and bad points of different cooking surfaces. I have seen stainless steel, porcelain coated cast iron and porcelain coated stamped steel.

Also, any thoughts on other features that you recommend or think are trash would be appreciated. Rotisserie, infrared burners, etc.

Any thoughts???

Thanks, guys.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I saw Weber and got excited it might have been a charcoal grill. I have a family friend that created his own smoker, starting with a rusted out bottom Weber grill (kettle drum style). If it was that, I would have suggested attempting your own smoker creation. My friend just used various metal parts, including steel wheels and brake drums from semi trucks. It doesn't look pretty, but man does it taste great when he smokes meat!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have a Weber gas grill with porcelain coated cast iron grates and I could not be happier. The grates heat up really well and hold onto the heat. They clean up very well as long as you treat them right (clean before and after use). They are a little wider than the SS grates I have seen so less chance of things falling through.

I have not yet seen a downside to my grates.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I went to the Weber site and looked around a bit. One I saw has SS grates, a rotisserie burner a side burner and a dedicated smoker burner! I thought this would be the nuts to have. I could smoke my own meat here!

Then I saw the price, over $2000!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Master Chef

My Kenmore gas grill came with heavy 1/4" thick SS grates. They hold up well to some heavy duty scrubbing when cleaning.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a propane grill with cast iron grates, briefly, I did not like it. They never did seem like they seasoned properly. I looked into ceramic coated grates and they seemed more "delicate" as to how they were to be treated with cleaning and cooking utensils. I got the traditional SS grid on my Ducane last year and couldn't be happier with it. The grill itself needs cleaned way to often as far as I'm concerned, the heat deflectors/flavor bars collect way too much ****, but then, I do grill about 4-5 times a week..... At any rate, I love the SS grate. It's idiot poof. Which works well for me

Oh, and sorry to hear about the grill, Andy... RIP
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have a Weber gas grill with porcelain coated cast iron grates and I could not be happier. The grates heat up really well and hold onto the heat. They clean up very well as long as you treat them right (clean before and after use). They are a little wider than the SS grates I have seen so less chance of things falling through.

I have not yet seen a downside to my grates.

GB I bought porcelain coated CI grates for this grill when the old ones needed replacing. The first set the porcelain chipped off. Weber sent me free replacements. The second set is on there right now. There is some flaking of the coating but it's well seasoned with fat. I really like these and am wondering about the SS ones.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

Andy, what a bummer!!! I'm not by any means an officinado on grills, so I just wanted to offer my support by saying it stinks to lose a grill, specially a Weber, and I do hope you find a replacement that is equally if not better than your old friend!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Andy, what a bummer!!! I'm not by any means an officinado on grills, so I just wanted to offer my support by saying it stinks to lose a grill, specially a Weber, and I do hope you find a replacement that is equally if not better than your old friend!

Thanks, sattie!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Sous Chef

didn't you get the service agreement ?