"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Gary B....

Where did you hear abut this grill....where is it advertised?
Sounds interesting.......

Old 03-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Confirming COBBMASTER's Opinions

I wanted to bring this thread a bit up to date, since it is several years old. Everything Cobbmaster has claimed is certainly true for the COBB grill. I've had mine for 4 months now, and still use it at least once a week. It is perfect for apartments and RV's as it stashes away nicely.

The results are incredible, I've done full chickens (90 minutes), Tri-Tips, and racks of ribs (cut them in 3rds and stack them) and like to use smoke with all the food. Using the clever moat is like doing a 'beer-can chicken', the bird is incredibly moist and will be the best many of your guests will have ever had. Promise!

The unit is a tad expensive, I guess, but checking the prices on the other leading portable grills...there are plenty that do less and cost more.

Cleaning is pretty easy. All the non-stick surfaces are easy, of course, and if you mop up the liquid in the moat with a paper towel before it cools down, the inner sleeve scrubs out easy with a copper scouring pad (copper ones won't scratch steel, but remember that the steel scouring pads will scratch steel)

All the pieces and parts are of a good high quality and the design is incredibly efficient. I use about 10-12 briquets and that's enough for everything I'm cooking. They last for hours.

The carrying case, the nylon bag, is sturdy and well designed and will comfortably carry ALL the components and ALL the accessories plus briquets, matches, smoking wood and smoke pot all inside. Basically, everything but the food.

I recommend this little baby to everyone. It is neither a gimmick, nor a novelty...it is an advanced scientifically designed tool that uses little fuel to do a great job.

My only minor gripe is the cost of the wire roasting rack accessory. At the manufacturing price of this piece, it should be included with the grill. Using this allows you to NOT have to turn the meat during the cooking. It is very convenient and I use it every time I cook. It is overpriced, some try to hawk it at $30 but any round wire rack will do...find one at a thrift shop for $2 and save the loot.

The other accessories are also a tad pricey, but the Wok, the Frying Pan, the griddle, etc., are a good high quality and extend the versatility of this little unit.

I think this is one of those brilliant new products that are worth every penny.

Note that currently there are two models of the COBB. The original is being phased out and is discounted to around $50. It has a black plastic base and is otherwise pretty much the same, and cooks the same. Google it for sources. This model is good if you want to try it and save some loot too.

The Premiere model has a stainless steel mesh base and is more expensive. If you are pretty convinced, from all the praises on the internet about the COBB...get this model Both can be moved during cooking as the sides are cool. This Grill is almost Kid-friendly because of the cool sides. If I need to restack a large pile of ribs, I carry the unit into the kitchen, restack everything neatly, then carry it back outside again. Very handy.

My recommend to readers is my recommend to my friends: Need a portable grill? Get the COBB, you'll love it.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks for the input and update Tom. Sounds interesting!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

New Cobb Grills...

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. I did want to update and correct you a couple of things.

The original model is the Cobb Classic and has a black plastic base. It was discontinues about 18 months ago but is still available cheap.

The Premier is fully Stainless Steel (304 grade marine quality) and replaced the Classic. Looks way better and lasts forever. Great for boating

Just releases is the new Cobb Pro. (Have a look at the CobbQ website under Cobbs)
This new model has a powder coated base but everything else is Stainless Steel. This brings the cost down to $99 for those who do not need to use it on a boat or are not worried about rust.

The Cobb has really built up a following and has got a name for itself in stores like REI, Cabelas, West Marine and others...

The accessories are a little expensive but CobbQ.com has the Roasting Rack for $19. Some places are cheaper.One of the reasons they are more is because they are all 304 grade stainless steel. Top quality stuff.

Hope this helps

Cobbmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jorgenson View Post
I wanted to bring this thread a bit up to date, since it is several years old. Everything Cobbmaster has claimed is certainly true for the COBB grill. I've had mine for 4 months now, and still use it at least once a week. It is perfect for apartments and RV's as it stashes away nicely.

The results are incredible, I've done full chickens (90 minutes), Tri-Tips, and racks of ribs (cut them in 3rds and stack them) and like to use smoke with all the food. Using the clever moat is like doing a 'beer-can chicken', the bird is incredibly moist and will be the best many of your guests will have ever had. Promise!

The unit is a tad expensive, I guess, but checking the prices on the other leading portable grills...there are plenty that do less and cost more.

Cleaning is pretty easy. All the non-stick surfaces are easy, of course, and if you mop up the liquid in the moat with a paper towel before it cools down, the inner sleeve scrubs out easy with a copper scouring pad (copper ones won't scratch steel, but remember that the steel scouring pads will scratch steel)

All the pieces and parts are of a good high quality and the design is incredibly efficient. I use about 10-12 briquets and that's enough for everything I'm cooking. They last for hours.

The carrying case, the nylon bag, is sturdy and well designed and will comfortably carry ALL the components and ALL the accessories plus briquets, matches, smoking wood and smoke pot all inside. Basically, everything but the food.

I recommend this little baby to everyone. It is neither a gimmick, nor a novelty...it is an advanced scientifically designed tool that uses little fuel to do a great job.

My only minor gripe is the cost of the wire roasting rack accessory. At the manufacturing price of this piece, it should be included with the grill. Using this allows you to NOT have to turn the meat during the cooking. It is very convenient and I use it every time I cook. It is overpriced, some try to hawk it at $30 but any round wire rack will do...find one at a thrift shop for $2 and save the loot.

The other accessories are also a tad pricey, but the Wok, the Frying Pan, the griddle, etc., are a good high quality and extend the versatility of this little unit.

I think this is one of those brilliant new products that are worth every penny.

Note that currently there are two models of the COBB. The original is being phased out and is discounted to around $50. It has a black plastic base and is otherwise pretty much the same, and cooks the same. Google it for sources. This model is good if you want to try it and save some loot too.

The Premiere model has a stainless steel mesh base and is more expensive. If you are pretty convinced, from all the praises on the internet about the COBB...get this model Both can be moved during cooking as the sides are cool. This Grill is almost Kid-friendly because of the cool sides. If I need to restack a large pile of ribs, I carry the unit into the kitchen, restack everything neatly, then carry it back outside again. Very handy.

My recommend to readers is my recommend to my friends: Need a portable grill? Get the COBB, you'll love it.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Cobb Grill

I've had mine now for a few months and I can echo everything you guys are saying about the Cobb Grill. In addition to the Cobb Grill, I own a propane grill, a charocoal grill and a charcoal water smoker. My neighbors must of thought I was nuts when they looked over the fence and saw me firing up yet another grill. However since I bought this thing I haven't even turned the others on. I made a chicken in the Cobb that came out perfect in 90 minutes with about a tenth of the charcoal I would have used in the other grills. With far less clean up as well. I don't know why people on this forum are saying clean up is a problem because I just don't see it. I can have mine spic and span in about 15 minutes by hand. I haven't even tried the dishwasher method yet but I'm sure I will sooner or later.

I followed this thing on the net for a while and none of the sites had adequate information, recipes, return policy, etc. I bought mine from the Art Fleederman site because he had all that and more. They threw in the roasting rack, and a bottle of Bacon Salt. Needless to say, I won't be returning mine, but I could have if I didn't like it. It was important to me, as I keep buying things that claim this and that but don't deliver. This grill does everything it says it will.

Is is a little pricey, yes, but it's made of quality materials, won't rust, and because it does what I want it to do, I am happy with the value it will provide over time. I was in my buddies garage the other day and he had three Smokey Joes thrown on the shelf in various states of decompostion. I don't even know what those cost but if you have to keep buying them, which one cost less for the long haul. I bet the Cobb.

Get a Cobb, you won't be sorry.

P.S. And the Bacon Salt is fabulous too!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Is the moat area suitable for making sauces? If you are cooking whole rack of lamb and chickens i imagine you have some amount of drippings coming off. Why not make some fresh gravy? Or maybe it would be possible to throw some wine and herbs in the bottom to steam. The acidity would make it easier to clean as well.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I haven't done it, but it is certainly doable per Cobb's instruction manual. I know when I roasted a chicken I had plenty of juices to make gravy with. It's no different then my water smoker with the bowl of water underneath the food. It moisturizes eveything and flavors it. Next I am going to put beer in the moat for chicken and see how that comes out. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

So, as someone who cooks on a propane grill and puts smoke chips on the burners to smoke something..... and am in love with my propane grill, would anyone reccommend this cobb grill for a multi purpose charcoal grill that can smoke pretty well?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I just visited the cobb america website and don't see how it doubles as an actual smoker. At least with my propane, the meat is not over the heat (like a true smoker). There aren't any examples of smoking, but it looks like the meat would have to be directly over the charcoal.... so basically you are just adding smoke flavor like I am presently, but over direct heat, which isn't "smoking"
Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

When you smoke on most charcoal grills, you use indirect heat and you let the smoke flavor the food. You can do the same thing with the Cobb when roasting meats because it acts like a convection oven. Cobb's instruction manual has you place the soaked chips in a foil packet with holes at the top. Put the packet on top of the coals, place the cooking surface and roasting rack on top, then the food and cover. Just like you would do with a propane grill. Except with a lot less charcoal and a lot more efficient use of the heat.