New barbecuer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HarrisonHo9

Assistant Cook
so i'm pretty much new to the barbecue world and was looking into getting a smoker to start with. if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. i'm looking for something not too pricey, about 250 max. and preferably electric, doesn't have to be but it would be alot easier to use. i'm also looking for something that can be fairly easy to move. i know thats not too specific so if you need more info that i forget let me know.

also if someone could just point me to a good place where i can learn some things on getting started that'd be great. mostly all i know about smokers comes from the food network and little bits from this site.

Welcome Harri,
Go to the forums listing on your left after you log in.
Click on that and scroll down to the bbq and smoking catagory and click on that. Alot of common discussion there. Some real consistant names pop up in those cats. who you may want to PM for your specific questions.
Good luck and enjoy.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I like grilling! Just wanted to welcome you to the group!

Welcome,

If you want to use gas or electric then just cook in an oven. BBQ is meant to be cooked over some kind of FLAVORED smoke. Your best bet to start out with is a Weber Smokey Mountain WSM.Just less than $250 delivered to your door and very easy to work with. You can also use it to grill on. These are almost set it and forget it(at least for hours at a clip). Do a search for "virtual weber bullet" and go on their forums and look around.

CAUTION: BBQ'ing is very addictive.

Welcome to DC, Harrison!

You might find the articles at John Raven's Traditional Texas Fare site of interest to understand the 3 forms of BBQ. There are other sites with good information, too - BBQ 101 and BBQ Basics (some are better than others).

There are several good electric "smokers". Like anything else - you pay for what you get in terms of features like max temperature, temp and smoke control, capacity, etc. Cabela's website has a good selection to give you an idea of what is available. Here is a Google list for electric smokers where you can find other options (even instructions for making your own electric smoker from a trash can).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom