"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I does not, but I bought a Brinkman cast iron smoker box to use for that. I've always just used foil pouches for it in the past, but I thought that for $11 the box was worth a try. The box will sit right down on the tents that cover the burners and should heat up nicely.
I have a similar box in stainless steel.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I does not, but I bought a Brinkman cast iron smoker box to use for that. I've always just used foil pouches for it in the past, but I thought that for $11 the box was worth a try. The box will sit right down on the tents that cover the burners and should heat up nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have a similar box in stainless steel.
I also have the cast iron box with holes/vents in the top.
It sucks.
It takes forever to start smoking and by the time it starts smoking, the wood catches fire and its gone in no time.
It now sits on the bottom shelf of the grill, to never be used again.
That is, unless you guys can tell me how to use it properly. Or tell me why it does not work very good.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I also have the cast iron box with holes/vents in the top.
It sucks.
It takes forever to start smoking and by the time it starts smoking, the wood catches fire and its gone in no time.
It now sits on the bottom shelf of the grill, to never be used again.
That is, unless you guys can tell me how to use it properly. Or tell me why it does not work very good.
I assume you soak your wood chips before use.

Try putting the box of chips on a burner set to high and when they start to smoke, turn that burner down to low and manage the temperature with other burner(s).

A foil packet works as well.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,054
I'll be experimenting when I get the chance, but I plan to preheat the box when I preheat the grill, then add the wet chips to it as needed.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,308
I was wondering about preheating the box before adding in the soaked chips.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
I always heated the box to extremely high heat before adding the water soaked chips to the vented chip holder.
Seems I got very little smoke and I have had to add extra water to the holder to keep the flames down. It seemed like it was fire or nothing.
I am tempted to try it again. My first few attempts were far from satisfactory. Not sure if it's the cast iron or the operator? LOL
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I always heated the box to extremely high heat before adding the water soaked chips to the vented chip holder.
Seems I got very little smoke and I have had to add extra water to the holder to keep the flames down. It seemed like it was fire or nothing.
I am tempted to try it again. My first few attempts were far from satisfactory. Not sure if it's the cast iron or the operator? LOL

Seems like pre-heating the empty box may be the issue.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,643
When I used to use foil pouches I always used dry wood chips. The small number of punctures in the foil prevented the chips from flaming, but produced plenty of smoke.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
When I used to use foil pouches I always used dry wood chips. The small number of punctures in the foil prevented the chips from flaming, but produced plenty of smoke.
Wet wood makes the wrong kind of smoke, very heavy and acrid, IMO.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
I need to try again. I will put moist chips in the cold box and place on the flavorizer bars and wait for smoke.
I know i have been through this, but since it works for you guys, I will give it another go.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grill

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.