New Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wet wood makes the wrong kind of smoke, very heavy and acrid, IMO.

I have quit using wet wood in my Weber charcoal and in my smoker.
I just use the dry stuff and hurry up and get the lid down.
I also heard this warning about wet wood.

Whats up all of a sudden with wet chips or chunks? It says right on the bag to soak for 30 minutes prior to using.

Or to turn, or add more wood, or to add more hot coals.
There are reasons for opening the lid. I try my best to keep those openings at the barest minimum.

Don't need to open the cooking chamber or firebox lid to add splits to the Horizon. I just open the side door to the firebox.

Getting back on topic....;)

There is one potential negative to this new grill and that is that the back of the hood has a 1½" - 2" opening the entire width of the grill. Others have said that they attached a piece of sheet metal to the hood to close that up and retain more heat. My concern is that it will allow too much smoke to escape when I'm using it as a smoker. I may have to find a solution to that issue.

If the CI smoker box turns out not to work, then I'm out $11 and it's back to the foil pouches, which are a bit more hassle, but I know from experience that they do work.

Don't need to open the cooking chamber or firebox lid to add splits to the Horizon. I just open the side door to the firebox.

I quit using the fire box on mine and use the cooking chamber for the food and the fire. Fire on far left, food on right.
I was using way to much wood and would not even consider wasting that much charcoal.
So, I use it like a grill and use the indirect cooking method.

I am still open to modifying my smoker to make it more efficient.

Getting back on topic....;)

There is one potential negative to this new grill and that is that the back of the hood has a 1½" - 2" opening the entire width of the grill. Others have said that they attached a piece of sheet metal to the hood to close that up and retain more heat. My concern is that it will allow too much smoke to escape when I'm using it as a smoker. I may have to find a solution to that issue.

If the CI smoker box turns out not to work, then I'm out $11 and it's back to the foil pouches, which are a bit more hassle, but I know from experience that they do work.

I seem to remember that gas grills have to have full time ventilation per the .gov people. Keeps them from accumulating gas then going boom.

I don't believe you are required to keep it that way though... just has to be sold that way.

I agree, the vents are there for safety reasons. You can seal them with foil.

I've tried smoking with my gas grill and find it difficult to keep the heat low enough for a long smoke., even using only one burner turned down all the way. If I sealed up all the holes, it would be even worse.

I've tried smoking with my gas grill and find it difficult to keep the heat low enough for a long smoke., even using only one burner turned down all the way. If I sealed up all the holes, it would be even worse.

I had the opposite problem with my Weber Genesis. I had to keep one burner at least medium high to keep the smoke going, but that raised the temperature too high, so I had to prop the hood up about an inch to keep the temperature down to between 220 and 250 and still put enough heat on the chips to keep them smoking. It was a constant balancing act, but I got it down pretty good. I just couldn't walk away and expect it to stay where I wanted it.

Got a turkey and a ham on.

Attachments

• 76122_669188179843_1219957_n.jpg
    76122_669188179843_1219957_n.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 154765_669188199803_7238208_n.jpg
    154765_669188199803_7238208_n.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 304
Those look so tasty Jon. I am coming to dinner. I have my checkered napkin ready. I like the leg meat myself. I take it you made that grill yourself. I have seen many of them in Texas. Well worth the time it takes to build. For some reason, the food always taste better in the home made ones. :angel:

Yep one of my buddies and I put it together one afternoon. Wheels and everything were there already all we had to do was cut holes, Put in cooking grate and smoke stack over the original fill hole. I wish I had a pic of my brothers. He made his out of 18inch well casing.

Yep one of my buddies and I put it together one afternoon. Wheels and everything were there already all we had to do was cut holes, Put in cooking grate and smoke stack over the original fill hole. I wish I had a pic of my brothers. He made his out of 18inch well casing.

Get some pictures of them. Your kids will look back on them with memories. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom