New Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Yesterday I finished assembling my shiny new grill. I bought it on a Home Depot Cyber Monday sale, $100 off. It isn't the Weber that I really wanted, but at half the price it should do the job for now. The reviews were quite good.

Here is my shiny new Dyna-Glo 5 burner grill with side burner.

i-tS9v49K-M.jpg

I cooked burgers on it today for lunch for my wife, her dad, and me, and they came out perfect, so first test has been passed.

Last edited:
I was a charcoal-only griller my whole life till I started cooking for only myself a lot.

It's a lot of trouble for just a burger or chicken for one so I broke down and bought a gas grill...

I got a dyna glo too, probably one model lower than yours and I really, really like it. I think you'll be happy with it. Yours looks sweet !!

I was a charcoal-only griller my whole life till I started cooking for only myself a lot.

It's a lot of trouble for just a burger or chicken for one so I broke down and bought a gas grill...

I got a dyna glo too, probably one model lower than yours and I really, really like it. I think you'll be happy with it. Yours looks sweet !!

My parents bought me a cheap Sunbeam gas grill about 20 years ago and I thought, Why?
I graciously accepted it, but had no idea if I would ever use it. You see, I was a charcoal snob.
The first time I used it I hated it. "Never again" I was heard saying.
Over time i got the hang of cooking on it, and it became our go to cooking device. I could quickly make some burgers steaks or chops without the fuss and the mess associated with charcoal cooking.

I now have had my Genesis Silver gas grill. Another present from my folks. I have had it about 15 years.
I use it a lot when its warm.
I made ribs last weekend on my charcoal grill.
I learned what worked best on gas an charcoal. I now use both.
I am happy to have a choice.
I have also learned the difference between grilling and BBQ'ing.
I think many folks are still in the dark in this regard.

My parents bought me a cheap Sunbeam gas grill about 20 years ago and I thought, Why?
I graciously accepted it, but had no idea if I would ever use it. You see, I was a charcoal snob.
The first time I used it I hated it. "Never again" I was heard saying.
Over time i got the hang of cooking on it, and it became our go to cooking device. I could quickly make some burgers steaks or chops without the fuss and the mess associated with charcoal cooking.

I now have had my Genesis Silver gas grill. Another present from my folks. I have had it about 15 years.
I use it a lot when its warm.
I made ribs last weekend on my charcoal grill.
I learned what worked best on gas an charcoal. I now use both.
I am happy to have a choice.
I have also learned the difference between grilling and BBQ'ing.
I think many folks are still in the dark in this regard.

Yep, I know that too. I had a Genesis Silver before moving out of the US for 2 years. Would have loved to buy another one, but we have spent so much getting a household set up again from scratch that it just wasn't in the cards. I used my Weber for both grill and smoker. It took some extra effort to keep the temperature down low enough to properly smoke a pork butt, but I played with it until I figured it out.

I smoked a lot of ribs on that old grill, and now I have learn the quirks and foibles of this new one. I'm going to enjoy the trip.

RP, does your new grill have a wood chip tray?
I use my charcoal grill for smoking and BBQ'ing. I use my gas grill for grilling.
I have always wondered what the smoke would do to the inside and out side of my gas grill?

RP, does your new grill have a wood chip tray?
I use my charcoal grill for smoking and BBQ'ing. I use my gas grill for grilling.
I have always wondered what the smoke would do to the inside and out side of my gas grill?

I does not, but I bought a Brinkman cast iron smoker box to use for that. I've always just used foil pouches for it in the past, but I thought that for $11 the box was worth a try. The box will sit right down on the tents that cover the burners and should heat up nicely.

Last edited:
I does not, but I bought a Brinkman cast iron smoker box to use for that. I've always just used foil pouches for it in the past, but I thought that for $11 the box was worth a try. The box will sit right down on the tents that cover the burners and should heat up nicely.

I have a similar box in stainless steel.

I also have the cast iron box with holes/vents in the top.
It sucks.
It takes forever to start smoking and by the time it starts smoking, the wood catches fire and its gone in no time.
It now sits on the bottom shelf of the grill, to never be used again.
That is, unless you guys can tell me how to use it properly. Or tell me why it does not work very good.

I also have the cast iron box with holes/vents in the top.
It sucks.
It takes forever to start smoking and by the time it starts smoking, the wood catches fire and its gone in no time.
It now sits on the bottom shelf of the grill, to never be used again.
That is, unless you guys can tell me how to use it properly. Or tell me why it does not work very good.

I assume you soak your wood chips before use.

Try putting the box of chips on a burner set to high and when they start to smoke, turn that burner down to low and manage the temperature with other burner(s).

A foil packet works as well.

I always heated the box to extremely high heat before adding the water soaked chips to the vented chip holder.
Seems I got very little smoke and I have had to add extra water to the holder to keep the flames down. It seemed like it was fire or nothing.
I am tempted to try it again. My first few attempts were far from satisfactory. Not sure if it's the cast iron or the operator? LOL

I always heated the box to extremely high heat before adding the water soaked chips to the vented chip holder.
Seems I got very little smoke and I have had to add extra water to the holder to keep the flames down. It seemed like it was fire or nothing.
I am tempted to try it again. My first few attempts were far from satisfactory. Not sure if it's the cast iron or the operator? LOL

Seems like pre-heating the empty box may be the issue.

When I used to use foil pouches I always used dry wood chips. The small number of punctures in the foil prevented the chips from flaming, but produced plenty of smoke.

Wet wood makes the wrong kind of smoke, very heavy and acrid, IMO.

I need to try again. I will put moist chips in the cold box and place on the flavorizer bars and wait for smoke.
I know i have been through this, but since it works for you guys, I will give it another go.

Back
Top Bottom