"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I received the Charbroil grill with the Side Smoker Box as a birthday gift from my wife. She probably was tired of hearing me talk about buying it. It seems to be built well and am initially happy with the grill. I have read other posts about the paint peeling off and will take the above advise about grinding off flaking paint and rust, when the time comes, and repainting with industrial heat paint.

I can not wait to use it. My brother has been dumping all his recipes on me and am going to be cooking a brisket or possibly a pork butt this weekend. I will take pictures and post them when I have them.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
Executive Chef

All right! I can't wait to read about your forays into smoking!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
All right! I can't wait to read about your forays into smoking!
AMEN. I am look'n forward to hear'n and seeing some pics about your first cook.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I am in love with my new grill!

OK, I finally am taking time to tell you guys about my new grill. As you know I received a Char Griller Grill with a smoker box attached AND I LOVE IT!! When I put it together I made sure to season it as directed. Other members of this discussion board told me as well and it makes a huge difference. The grates are kept clean and oiled ofter they are hot almost everytime I fire it up.

For your enjoyment I have attached some images of my favorite thing to do with my new grill; PULLED PORK.

Pictured below is the new grill and a 5 lb. or so pork butt (bone in), rubbed.

The Pork Butt took about 5 hours. I made some cole slaw while it cooked. When it registered about 160 degree, internal, I removed it and let the pork but rest.

When it could be handled I pulled the bone out and stripped it down, poured a home made tomato based BBQ sauce over it and gave it a stir. I love pulled pork and usually serve it as you see it below, with home made slaw and pickles.

I realize I have talked about the sandwich more than the grill. So I will tell you I LOVE IT. It was easy to put together, although having 2 people may make it even easier. Also I highly recommend properly seasoning the grates and maintaining them.

I do have a question for anyone who has used this grill or a simialr model. Do you place food in the side box? I realize it is called a side smoker box, but I have yet to place anything on the grates. What I have done so far is remove the grates from the smoker box and have the hot coals and soaked wood chips in there but also have hot coals and whatever I am cooking on the main grill. Does that make sense.

Anyway I am pretty excited to have this new grill and hopefully will have a lot more great food come from it. I am considering purchasing a vegetable basket or maybe grilling some fish. i know it would make my wife and Dr happy to see me eat some more fish and vegetables.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 AM   #15
Head Chef

Next time you do pulled pork you should try some
North Carolina vinegar based sauce.
Essentially, it is cider vinegar, white vinegar, hot pepper
flakes or sauce, garlic and perhaps a bit of pepper. No two
cooks make it the same.
Pull the pork, douse in sauce and heat in the oven for a while.
Serve on a cheap white bread bun with plenty of cole slaw
on the sandwich.

Heaven!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I pretty much use white vinegar, chili flakes, black pepper - period. Then there's is the more creative one with a bit of brown sugar, ketchup (not much), a few other things and then a thicker one. GOTTA have one of those put on the meat after on the bun - YUMMMMMMY!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I love both and actually prefer the vinegar based North Carolina style sauce. It just happened I had the homemade tomato based sauce on hand and my wife, born and raised in Chicago, is a bit hesitant to open up to foods of the south. Although I have seen her put vinegar on collard greens, so there is hope.

Now I am hungry and it is not even 10 am. Next time I make pulled pork, North Carolina Style, I will post some pictures. It is one of my favorite sandwiches along with a stacked Pressed Cuban sandwich, which is a bit labor intensive.

Take care,
Bryan
Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
Executive Chef

bknox, you pulled the pork off when it registered 160 degrees? I'm surprised it pulled apart. Usually, collagen doesn't render out until 190 degrees F.

I don't use the side box for direct cooking. Although, you can use it for a small fire and grill a couple burgers or dogs.

Glad to hear you like using your grill/smoker. Keep at it!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #19
Cook

I like Alton Brown's idea for a smoker - he recently made one out of a garbage can, a burner plate, a grill grate and a wood-chip box.

This guy on this site took inspiration from that and made one himself:
http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

It works like a champ and is very cheap to make..