"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 08-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

The Weber is a good one. It's actually used a lot in competition BBQ events.

The difference is the location of the smoke box. The weber's is inline vertically. The smoke travels up to the food. Those with an offset box have it located next to the food and the smoke travels horizontally to the food.

The Weber is a really good choice and easy to use. That;s the one I'd buy.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #22
Head Chef

Andy, that is definitely the one i'm going to get. It has crazy good reviews.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Hi,

I'm quite partial to Romeo y Juilietta "Cedros" myself.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Andy, that is definitely the one i'm going to get. It has crazy good reviews.

Can't wait to hear the results.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
I don't know, it seems that BBQ pit i was talking about gets AWESOME reviews.

I assumed it had a smoke box built in? Are you saying the pit i linked is not a good one?
I had a similar one and it was a pain in the butt to clean. I used it twice. The type I mentioned doubles as a grill. A very large grill and easy to clean. I use it alot.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I had a similar one and it was a pain in the butt to clean. I used it twice. The type I mentioned doubles as a grill. A very large grill and easy to clean. I use it alot.
Mine is like that too. I think its called a Brinkmann smoke n grill. I've never used it for smoking, just grilling. It looks like you would have to disassemble it to load it with more charcoal. That would suck!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Myleg... Look man... the WSM is good, shoot, its even famous, but DUDE!, you live in Houston.
There must be a couple of dozen companies that make smokers there... no kidding. You want and need, a smoker/grill combo. This lets you put charcoal under the grate for regular things like hamburgers and steaks, chicken etc- things that are grilled.
Then it has a fire box off on the end where you burn wood to make smoke. That is what you want.
Then if you cannot find what you want at one or more of the dozen Grills and More places, go out to FM 1960, west of Willowbrook mall and before Steubner Airline Road. You will see, on the north side of the road, a place called Universal Grills or something or other.. sells all sorts of grills and smokers, plus propane and propane products- not to mention exotic woods for smoke and various spices. They are good people. If nothing else go talk to them they will give you an education. On Saturdays they used to do live cookng and eating demos... good food.
Go for it, and do not wimp out and get a Weber...
Old 08-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
Myleg... Look man... the WSM is good, shoot, its even famous, but DUDE!, you live in Houston.
There must be a couple of dozen companies that make smokers there... no kidding. You want and need, a smoker/grill combo. This lets you put charcoal under the grate for regular things like hamburgers and steaks, chicken etc- things that are grilled.
Then it has a fire box off on the end where you burn wood to make smoke. That is what you want.
Then if you cannot find what you want at one or more of the dozen Grills and More places, go out to FM 1960, west of Willowbrook mall and before Steubner Airline Road. You will see, on the north side of the road, a place called Universal Grills or something or other.. sells all sorts of grills and smokers, plus propane and propane products- not to mention exotic woods for smoke and various spices. They are good people. If nothing else go talk to them they will give you an education. On Saturdays they used to do live cookng and eating demos... good food.
Go for it, and do not wimp out and get a Weber...
Hmm, this brings up an interesting point. I also wanted to cook stuff on it like Hamburgers, steaks, etc.

So the product i linked is just for smoking, and is a pain in the *** to clean?

I will be smoking half the time and doing stuff like burgers and whatnot the other half of the time.

I most DEFINITELY going to head out to that place that you mentioned.

By any chance can you locate the name of the place? You mentioned, Universal Grills or something similar?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
Mine is like that too. I think its called a Brinkmann smoke n grill. I've never used it for smoking, just grilling. It looks like you would have to disassemble it to load it with more charcoal. That would suck!
IF (and I emphasize IF) it is the "bullet" shaped Brinkman it is excellent for smoking. One load of charcoal (10#) is usually enough for the smoking process. But if you want to add more, you just lift the top 2/3 off, add more charcoal and put it back on.
The big drawback to this kind is not having much control over temp, but I had 2 or maybe 3 before I got my side firebox New Braunfels.
If it isn't the bullet shape you are talking about, I withdraw all of the above.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

MLB:

By all means talk to someone knowledgeable about all the options before you make a decision.

You can also grill on the Weber. It's just not very big.

You can also buy a regular weber charcoal grill and smoke on that. You have lots of options.