"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,365
The Weber is a good one. It's actually used a lot in competition BBQ events.

The difference is the location of the smoke box. The weber's is inline vertically. The smoke travels up to the food. Those with an offset box have it located next to the food and the smoke travels horizontally to the food.

The Weber is a really good choice and easy to use. That;s the one I'd buy.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #22
Head Chef
 
Mylegsbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,291
Andy, that is definitely the one i'm going to get. It has crazy good reviews.
__________________

__________________
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #23
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bordeaux
Posts: 179
Hi,

I'm quite partial to Romeo y Juilietta "Cedros" myself.

Best regards,
Alex R.
__________________
AlexR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Andy, that is definitely the one i'm going to get. It has crazy good reviews.

Can't wait to hear the results.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Bangbang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
I don't know, it seems that BBQ pit i was talking about gets AWESOME reviews.

I assumed it had a smoke box built in? Are you saying the pit i linked is not a good one?
I had a similar one and it was a pain in the butt to clean. I used it twice. The type I mentioned doubles as a grill. A very large grill and easy to clean. I use it alot.
__________________
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I had a similar one and it was a pain in the butt to clean. I used it twice. The type I mentioned doubles as a grill. A very large grill and easy to clean. I use it alot.
Mine is like that too. I think its called a Brinkmann smoke n grill. I've never used it for smoking, just grilling. It looks like you would have to disassemble it to load it with more charcoal. That would suck!
__________________
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #27
Senior Cook
 
Hopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Utah, near Park City
Posts: 272
Myleg... Look man... the WSM is good, shoot, its even famous, but DUDE!, you live in Houston.
There must be a couple of dozen companies that make smokers there... no kidding. You want and need, a smoker/grill combo. This lets you put charcoal under the grate for regular things like hamburgers and steaks, chicken etc- things that are grilled.
Then it has a fire box off on the end where you burn wood to make smoke. That is what you want.
Then if you cannot find what you want at one or more of the dozen Grills and More places, go out to FM 1960, west of Willowbrook mall and before Steubner Airline Road. You will see, on the north side of the road, a place called Universal Grills or something or other.. sells all sorts of grills and smokers, plus propane and propane products- not to mention exotic woods for smoke and various spices. They are good people. If nothing else go talk to them they will give you an education. On Saturdays they used to do live cookng and eating demos... good food.
Go for it, and do not wimp out and get a Weber...
__________________
Favorite Quote: "Time Flies Like an Arrow - Fruit Flies Like a Banana"
Groucho Marx
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Mylegsbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
Myleg... Look man... the WSM is good, shoot, its even famous, but DUDE!, you live in Houston.
There must be a couple of dozen companies that make smokers there... no kidding. You want and need, a smoker/grill combo. This lets you put charcoal under the grate for regular things like hamburgers and steaks, chicken etc- things that are grilled.
Then it has a fire box off on the end where you burn wood to make smoke. That is what you want.
Then if you cannot find what you want at one or more of the dozen Grills and More places, go out to FM 1960, west of Willowbrook mall and before Steubner Airline Road. You will see, on the north side of the road, a place called Universal Grills or something or other.. sells all sorts of grills and smokers, plus propane and propane products- not to mention exotic woods for smoke and various spices. They are good people. If nothing else go talk to them they will give you an education. On Saturdays they used to do live cookng and eating demos... good food.
Go for it, and do not wimp out and get a Weber...
Hmm, this brings up an interesting point. I also wanted to cook stuff on it like Hamburgers, steaks, etc.

So the product i linked is just for smoking, and is a pain in the *** to clean?

I will be smoking half the time and doing stuff like burgers and whatnot the other half of the time.

I most DEFINITELY going to head out to that place that you mentioned.

By any chance can you locate the name of the place? You mentioned, Universal Grills or something similar?
__________________
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #29
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
Mine is like that too. I think its called a Brinkmann smoke n grill. I've never used it for smoking, just grilling. It looks like you would have to disassemble it to load it with more charcoal. That would suck!
IF (and I emphasize IF) it is the "bullet" shaped Brinkman it is excellent for smoking. One load of charcoal (10#) is usually enough for the smoking process. But if you want to add more, you just lift the top 2/3 off, add more charcoal and put it back on.
The big drawback to this kind is not having much control over temp, but I had 2 or maybe 3 before I got my side firebox New Braunfels.
If it isn't the bullet shape you are talking about, I withdraw all of the above.
__________________
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,365
MLB:

By all means talk to someone knowledgeable about all the options before you make a decision.

You can also grill on the Weber. It's just not very big.

You can also buy a regular weber charcoal grill and smoke on that. You have lots of options.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.