"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #31
Head Chef

Andy M, will only be grilling for my fiance and I and we have a baby on the way but he will not be eating off of the grill.

Andy have you used a weber? how difficult would you say it is to clean it, and how often do you need to?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Myleg... correction please on the directions... it is on FM1960 West of 249/Willowbrook Mall... (not toward Steubner-Airline)...its actually:

Universal Propane Grill and Light Inc.

9106 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77070
281-894-8878

That ought to get you pretty close... if that won't do it-- try:
http://www.gasgrillwarehouse.com/

One word... they sell gas stuff here. they may not be large proponents of smoking with wood. But, and its a large but... they know their stuff. Listen to them.
I bought my gas grill there many years ago. I love it... and by the way, I smoke on my gas grill several times per month. I do not intend to get into the gas versus wood for smoke argument...

Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I can "smoke" several slabs of ribs on my smoker and two turkeys or several chickens. You can not do that on a Weber. I can even cook corn,steaks,and burgers in my firebox while "smokin" the other stuff. All you have to do to clean is to remove the grates to remove the ashes. I then burn a hot fire to clean the grates. Lazy way but it works. The Weber would bu8rn up.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

MLB:

I don't have a WSM, just a Weber gas grill. I have investigated the WSM as I want to get a smoker. It is recommended over the Brinkman of the same size and shape as it is sturdier and easier to control the heat.

The side mount rig is bigger and will accommodate more food at one time than the WSM but consider what you really need for two adults and occasional guests. If you find you like smoking and the time commitment it takes, you can upgrade to a larger and more costly item.

Ask the expert about using the Weber Gold 22" kettle grill for smoking. Raine posted a detailed instruction of how to smoke on a kettle grill and it seems easy.

Think about what you will be doing most. If you will be doing a lot of grilling and occasional smoking you might make one choice. If you will be doing a lot of smoking and occasional grilling, your choice will be different.

You can buy one unit that does both or two separate specialized units.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Hmm, this brings up an interesting point. I also wanted to cook stuff on it like Hamburgers, steaks, etc.

So the product i linked is just for smoking, and is a pain in the *** to clean?

I will be smoking half the time and doing stuff like burgers and whatnot the other half of the time.

I most DEFINITELY going to head out to that place that you mentioned.

By any chance can you locate the name of the place? You mentioned, Universal Grills or something similar?
I can't find the description of the "WSM" but since I bought our son's New Braunfels sidebox smoker in Houston (at Lowe's or Costco I think) when passing through one time, I will post my experience with my own New Braunfels, purchased after that. If I have already posted to this thread, please forgive.
The sidebox smokers have an additional big plus--you can regulate the temperature of the smoking chamber (and they have a thermometer mounted on the unit) fairly precisely by using the dampers.
This is important when making things like pork butt for pulled pork, since you want the temperature to not go above 250*.
It is important for roasting/smoking chickens when you may want the temp to be a bit higher--350* for a short roast/smoke.
It is important when smoking fish--trout, salmon, mackerel--when you want the temp to be no more than 150*.

You can use the side firebox as a small charcoal grill for grilling directly over charcoal--OR you can use the main large chamber for a charcoal grill and more space.

If you buy at a place like Barbecues Galore , etc. you will definitely pay top dollar. Take a look at Home Depot and see what they may have. And as someone said, since you are in Houston, you should have a lot more places to shop. Good luck. It's fun.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
IF (and I emphasize IF) it is the "bullet" shaped Brinkman it is excellent for smoking. One load of charcoal (10#) is usually enough for the smoking process. But if you want to add more, you just lift the top 2/3 off, add more charcoal and put it back on.
The big drawback to this kind is not having much control over temp, but I had 2 or maybe 3 before I got my side firebox New Braunfels.
If it isn't the bullet shape you are talking about, I withdraw all of the above.
Gretchen, my Brinkmann has 2 grates (link to my smoker/grill). In order to smoke, it appears that I must put charcoal in the bootom, then the bottom grate on, then the water pan or meat for the lower portion. I guess if I didn't want to put the water pan or meat in the lower portion I could leave the bottom grate off. That would make adding fuel easier. When grilling with this unit I have found that a full chimney of charcoal lasts 4 hours, so I might not even have to add more! I'll have to get everything together and go over the instructions. I've only used it for grilling so far.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #37
Executive Chef

I would go with weber for the bbq, and the gum works really well when you are ready to give up the reds.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I would go with weber for the bbq, and the gum works really well when you are ready to give up the reds.

HUH???
Old 08-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

LOL Andy I think he is talking about chewing gum to give up smoking Marlboro reds
Old 08-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
HUH???
Marlboro reds, cigarettes.