"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 12-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Honey Badger

Got Lucky....Again.

It arrived last night.Yeee-haaaaw!

My husband let me look at the box.Read everything about it,then still held fast to "Not Until Christmas" alright, I was fine with that.

Apparently he wasn't, just wanted to mess with me for a little while.

This Kettle Smoker is a Weber grill for the stove top.

I was really surprised by how large it really is. Nothing cheap went into the design. They thought of everything. I'm very impressed with it.

I made a quick phone call to where my son works asked him to bring home a Tri-Tip for dinner. I used the Hickory smoked chips that were provided.Did as they recommended. That had to be the best, juiciest Tri-Tip I've had in a long time. In a fraction of the time vs the outdoor smoker. This product is a definite winner. It was nice to be able to smoke something in the comfort of my own warm kitchen.

I can still smell the Hickory chips this morning.

Now for the nitty gritty aspects.

When I checked the specs on Amazon I didn't see that not only can this be used indoors/outdoors.It's also oven safe. It also came with a DVD.The video that you see on Amazon is the actual DVD demonstration.

Clean up of it is very easy.Warm soapy water is all you'll need.

We ate the evidence of the Tri-Tip. Didn't have the time to take a pic.

Tonight I'll be making Smoked chicken for us. Our guys want me to try making a pizza in it.

Your food will cook a little faster. Just keep an eye on the temp.
The recipe book has some really nice recipes with marinades and rubs 11 recipes in all.

It will not have the traditional smoke rings that people are used to seeing.
That won't matter with this. Your still going to get that smokey infused flavor.

They say to use an exhaust fan while it's in use. I did that.It wasn't even necessary. The kitchen or the house didn't fill up with smoke. Close the vent.

So, for those looking for something this year for the hard to buy for people. I highly recommend this unit. You or them won't be disappointed.

*Forgot to mention that it will hold up to 5# of food at a time. Non stick finish.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Way Cool!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Now about smoking in a drought. A kamado style cooker, BGE or Akorn would be great. They are self contained and in the case of the Akorn, does not get hot on the outside. My Akorn sits on the corner of my porch up against the railing with no problems.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Master Chef

I have one. I'm not an experienced smoker but thought it would be interesting to try. I think I did a pork loin in mine. I've only used it once since I never think about it with my busy schedule.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I can still smell the Hickory chips this morning.
That would be my concern.

Here in the cold parts, windows are closed for more than half the year. Would this work on a hot plate (or something similar) so it could be used in the garage?

Before you eat it's an aroma, after you eat it's an odor.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
Master Chef

I don't think I would mind the lingering smell of hickory in the kitchen. A lingering smell of fish, otoh, would be unpleasant.
That said, I would use this smoker under a vented hood.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #16
Honey Badger

New Question?

Tonight were having smoked chicken breasts. They guys want panini's.
I'd like a salad and a small bruchetta.To go please.

I picked up 2 beautiful artichokes, so I thought why not smoke them? Surprise hubby. He loves the hearts best.

How would I go about doing this? I've read that you can boil them in lemon water whole. Or cut them in half, oil and season, then steam. Or grill them.

I do have a nice CI griddle pan that could be used to make the charred marks. Is that just an aesthetic thing?

What's the best technique?
Any recommendations on what type of chips should be used for this?

What about the little prickley's. Do they get cut off as usual or not?

Yep, this is my first rodeo...Giddey up and go artichoke!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #17
Master Chef

Hmmm...I LOVE artichokes and have them often, but I've never had them smoked. I trim the pokey parts of the leaves and cut the stem off to about an inch or so, and steam them in a steamer basket.

Depending on their size, it takes a good 45 minutes to steam them - I would be concerned that with a long time in the smoker, the smoke would overpower the delicate artichoke-y goodness. You could try pre-cooking them first, and then running them through your smoker for a few minutes...?

I've also cut them in half, oiled and grilled them, and yes, those beautiful grill marks make them look sooo appetizing. It's been a while since I've done that, and I think even then I pre-steamed for a bit first.

Hopefully others here will chime in on your idea Munky, maybe someone else here has tried smoking them.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #18
Master Chef

Munky, I just re read your post and it sounds like you were already planning on pre-cooking the 'chokes before you put them in the smoker. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #19
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Munky, I just re read your post and it sounds like you were already planning on pre-cooking the 'chokes before you put them in the smoker. Sorry if I misunderstood.

No worries Cheryl.

I'm still doing homework on it.
Well duh on me. Some days I'm just brain dead.

We just drove through here a few weeks ago. Saw them still growing in the fields.

Artichoke Nutrition Recipes, Cooking Tips & more - Ocean Mist Farms

Now that I know it's particular kind that helps. Frost Kissed. Awwwwe that's nice..

What I'll probably do is. Cut the stickies off, and part of the stem.
Halve it. Brush it with olive oil, touch of kosher salt,fresh ground pepper.

I'll steam it until it's just about done. Add the wood chips. Probably apple.
Smoke it for a few minutes. Finish it off in the CI.

Sound like a plan Stan?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
Master Chef

Sounds really good, Munky. Please give a review when all's said and done...I'm really interested in hearing about what you all thought of it! Sounds like you really scored with the 'frost kissed'.

And thank you for that great link - there are some great sounding recipes there. Can't believe after all these years in CA I've never been to Castroville.

Tags
smoker