"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Oil-less Turkey Fryer

I bought an oil-less fryer this week and used it the first time today. Now I am impressed! It worked great and the turkey was moist and tender. Only problem is that the bird I had was too big for the basket in the unit. I cut the legs of and smoked them along with three fatties. The legless bird fit the basket good and it took a little over 2 hours to cook. No more expensive peanut oil. My old turkey pot is now my Low Country Boil pot! Here are some pics.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

how do you fry something without oil or fat of some sort?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Me too, how does that work? I suggest that it might not be actual frying but more like some sort of vertical roaster.

The results look good!

Fatties?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Head Chef

Looks great, but I would also like to know how it works. What brand is it, and where did you purchase it?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Looks great, but I would also like to know how it works. What brand is it, and where did you purchase it?
Looks like this one. Cooks with infrared only
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Head Chef

Okay, I'm interested. Looking at this one on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Char-Broil The Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

...it appears to be a specialized form of high temperature roaster. I suppose calling it a "fryer" can be forgiven, since the intended finished product is similar, but only for some forms of food. But it's billed as a "turkey fryer," so that's okay by me. If they had called it a "roaster," they would have missed their target market. (The bold use of the term "infrared" is sort of lame.)

It appears to be a tubular chamber with a surrounding catalytic propane element. They say the mesh lid is to reflect some of the "infrared" and to let hot air out. I'll buy that, it not a baker. So, why do we fry? Because oil can get a lot hotter than water. And because oil can surround the food, which matter a lot with, say, French fries, but perhaps not so much with turkey, since turkey is close to being a solid lump of meat. So, they're hitting the turkey with intense radiated heat. Different from the conductive heat of frying, but should work. So, as I said, a specialized roaster, and isn't that ultimately what frying is, a "roaster" that equally treats all sides of the food?

If I was inclined toward turkey frying (which I'm not), I'd consider this one, if only because it avoids the mess, cost and hazards of oil.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Don't know about all the science behind the Big Easy, but I know this,It will pay for itself next cook and the turkey tastes like one that is fried! It was very tender and moist inside. The whole gang loved it. To me that is all that matters.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Me too, how does that work? I suggest that it might not be actual frying but more like some sort of vertical roaster.

The results look good!

Fatties?

Fatties are a chub of breakfast sausage that is rolled out flat and covered with cheese and then rolled back up into a log shape. I wrap mine in bacon as well. Then cooked in a smoker until the internal temp is 165*. Let cool completely and eat as you would Summer Sausage,sliced and eaten with crackers. Just another snack food creation.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paymaster View Post
Fatties are a chub of breakfast sausage that is rolled out flat and covered with cheese and then rolled back up into a log shape. I wrap mine in bacon as well. Then cooked in a smoker until the internal temp is 165*. Let cool completely and eat as you would Summer Sausage,sliced and eaten with crackers. Just another snack food creation.
Wow! ... You leave out the calories, right?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Head Chef

It occurs to me that it might put a beautiful finish on a ham, too. Do they talk about anything other than turkeys in the instructions?

Tags
turkey