"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but how is the oven any different from the grill with the exception of the door opening out instead of up?
Well, I guess that's what I meant by getting the double hood instead. The oven is attractive to me because I can have multiple temp cooking going on. But then I could just have indirect heat on one side, too. So it's official, I'm over the forward-opening oven idea.

Uncle Bob- you have excellent grill taste. Last season I had my eye on the Weber Genesis. It was my top choice. But natural gas models were only available in black, and (I'm such a girl) that wouldn't match the 'decor.' I'm more of a bronze or hammered brass gal. So now you know I'm THAT person, the one who considers color options for my grill...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh
Uncle Bob- you have excellent grill taste. Last season I had my eye on the Weber Genesis. It was my top choice. But natural gas models were only available in black, and (I'm such a girl) that wouldn't match the 'decor.' I'm more of a bronze or hammered brass gal. So now you know I'm THAT person, the one who considers color options for my grill...
If designer colors are important then I suggest you stay with propane models....Usually/Generally they produce more BTU's.(Think Grilling). Also it, (propane) produces more BTU's per cubic foot. If that doesn't convice ya then put your DH on the phone......

Fun!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
Executive Chef

If you opt for natural gas, make sure you tell the salesman. They will have to install the proper orifices.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Yes we did some surface-shopping for grills last season, so I'm familiar with the natural gas "orifices(?!)." But Uncle Bob's comment is concerning me about BTUs. One of the main reasons we want Natty Gas is so we have consistent, even heating, and so we never have to worry about changing tanks. Is the BTU difference significant? I mean, I could buy a car with a really powerful engine, but, I always drive the speed limit so I would never know, you know?

Are there other pros/cons I should consider when switching to natural gas?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Here ya go.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Cool thanks!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I checked out the Charmglow oven in a grill at HD and thought it very small. It really doesn't make a lot of sence unless you want to bake. Brownies are allways tasty and who wants to heat up the house during the summer? Now I'm wondering if I could bake a cake on the grill.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

While I cannot justify the need in my on mind for a gas grill with an oven, if I had to have one, I'd get one with a separate oven rather than a two hood grill. The difference being that the oven would have a thermostat that keeps the oven at a constant temperature while the grill top does not.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Geez now I don't know you all have great points and I was at home home depot and found the grill with a oven and I think I want it....maybe but can't find any reviews

it's call a charm glow Gourmet Series oven grill and it's $800. plus it has a burner and trays that fold down on the sides ,I have never use a gas grill .

I just don't know.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Well, if it helps, I decided against the oven-grill. As Andy mentioned, it is nice to be able to see the temp inside the cooking/baking area. Most gas grill hoods now have a thermostat. So if I want to keep something at a constant temp, I can simply use the hooded area with indirect heat and get the same effect. I would say to Chip that you can find an excellent gas grill for much less money if you cross the oven feature off your list. Here's the one we decided on:

Amazon.com: Ducane 30741301 Affinity 4400 4-Burner Propane Gas Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden

It has an included rotisserie attachment, handy smoker-chip compartment, hidden propane storage, side burner, side shelf, ample cooking area, hood thermostat, stainless grates. High grade stainless steel exterior (magnets won't stick). I like that it has four burners instead of three like many in its class. I have more flexibility for indirect/direct heat and temperature variance options.

Also, the older grills are basic black and look dated. Newer ones are industrial-looking stainless steel, which I am convinced wil be forced into perceived obsolescence by marketers soon enough. This one is a nice combination of the two finishes, so, aesthetically, I believe it will last longer, too.

Good luck finding the grill that's right for you!!