Rusted Lodge Hibachi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dee Jsaan said:
I have loads of Cast Iron including Griswold, Wagner, and Lodge. I've picked it up
at various yard sales & flea markets.

If it's anything larger, you can line a box with a lawn and leaf bag to make like a bath tub. Then put one piece of your iron in and use regular cola soda to pour over it and soak it and then wire brush it to get the rust etched off. Those Dollar Tree stores sell
3 liter bottles for a buck and a few bottles of that may be enough to bring a piece of iron back to it's base metal.

Once cleaned and rinsed and dried, you can re season it in the oven with oil. I use Flax Seed oil on mine. It is an edible oil that does a good job on Iron.

Depending on how rusted you may have to allow the iron to sit in the cola soda for awhile.

Thank you, Dee! My hibachi is cooling in the oven after doing the self cleaning cycle. We will see what happens!

If it is only surface rust you should be able to brush it, wash it, wipe it down with cooking oil and build a fire in it to sort of reseason it. Do it in an area where the smoke won't bother you.

This.

I've done this a couple of times with my Lodge hibachi. I've just cooked on it as I normally did during reseasoning.

I took it out of the self-cleaning oven, (thanks Katie H and Aunt Bea!), it got a bunch of stuff off, but it ain't as purty as when I first got it. Still working the wire brush. I think I'll take Pac's advice and concentrate on the grill. Will smear it with bacon fat and put in the oven to reseason. The rest, I will try Dee's idea of using cheap cola soak in a box lined with a garbage bag when I get around to it, or Sir Loin's auto shop beadblasting. Some salt and oil on the nooks and crannies per Tim. Hope I didn't forget anyone!

It takes a village to derust a hibachi! Thanks all!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom