"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Rusted Lodge Hibachi

Stupid, stupid me. Left the little darling to cool, and then it rained. And now it's all rusted. I hacked at it with a wire brush, but may need to resort to more drastic measures.

I have Dremels with wire wheels, would this be a good idea? Some info I read says yes, other info says don't do it. Ideas?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

If it is only surface rust you should be able to brush it, wash it, wipe it down with cooking oil and build a fire in it to sort of reseason it. Do it in an area where the smoke won't bother you.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
If it is only surface rust you should be able to brush it, wash it, wipe it down with cooking oil and build a fire in it to sort of reseason it. Do it in an area where the smoke won't bother you.
Thanks, Bea! Crud, I can't believe I did that....
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Stupid, stupid me. Left the little darling to cool, and then it rained. And now it's all rusted. I hacked at it with a wire brush, but may need to resort to more drastic measures.

I have Dremels with wire wheels, would this be a good idea? Some info I read says yes, other info says don't do it. Ideas?
I haven't tried it, but it may be worth a try on your hibachi.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Interesting. I don't have anything rusty to experiment with right now, but I'd be curious to try this and see how effective it is. I have plenty of onions, though.

My first thought for your predicament is if you have a self-cleaning oven, you could put the rusted part of the hibachi in the oven and run it through a cleaning cycle. Once you've done that, then reseason the hibachi. I'd think that would do the job.

Or, place it on your outdoor grill and fire up the grill to "nuclear" and cook the hibachi and, again, reseason.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H
Interesting. I don't have anything rusty to experiment with right now, but I'd be curious to try this and see how effective it is. I have plenty of onions, though.

My first thought for your predicament is if you have a self-cleaning oven, you could put the rusted part of the hibachi in the oven and run it through a cleaning cycle. Once you've done that, then reseason the hibachi. I'd think that would do the job.

Or, place it on your outdoor grill and fire up the grill to "nuclear" and cook the hibachi and, again, reseason.
Okay, here goes. I scraped off as much rust as I could, put the whole thing in the oven, and have initiated the self-cleaning cycle.

Wish me luck!

Oven needed cleaning anyway.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I'd take it to an automobile engine repair shop or a machine shop and ask them to sand or glass bead blast it for me.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef
I'd take it to an automobile engine repair shop or a machine shop and ask them to sand or glass bead blast it for me.
Great idea! Would have never thought of that either, Sir Loin. It has another 3 hours in the oven. We will see what we get.

Dang, I'm mad at myself!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Scrubbing it with oil and salt will also remove the rust. It's a good way to clean it all the time. Works well and makes it almost non-stick.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I've brought rusted CI back to life. It just took a lot of wire brushing with a small grinder and re-seasoning. I've never done it to a hibatchi before. I can't say that I'd even bother, as long as the grates were OK. Well, maybe I would, maybe I would clean and paint the outside with high temp paint.