"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Set it and forget it smoker?

I'm thinking of buying a smoker for someone. That someone is not going to want to play with the learning curve of maintaining correct pit temps, so I'm ruling charcoal and wood out. Nothing that needs the heat source played with or the vents fiddled with very much. That leaves me propane or electric. And I've never seen an electric smoker that produced a good smoke ring in colder outside temps. Not the cheaper ones anyway. I imagine the insulated ones are better (L2Q, didn't you buy one of those?). And money IS an object. Let's say 500 tops, but I'd rather spend a LOT less. A LOT $300 would be nice... 200 better

So it's been a while since I frequented the Q boards or did any kind of research into pits. And I know there is a flue/fan device, but again, more to fiddle with. What is a nice set it and forget it kind of smoker for the novice that is really only looking to turn out a few fatties at first? Someone who is "convenience oriented"?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Everymom

Well I will be following this thread with some interest. I am afraid I don't have a lot of input (none!) except that my electric smoker is only really good for fish. I'd love to be able to smoke some turkey or chicken or make one of those pretty fatties, so I hope someone with some info posts soon.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Getting away from the "Art" of Qing means technology (gadgets). Generally not something you would associate with "cheap". I've never used one, but a pellet smoker is probably as close as you will get. I have no idea about price. I think Savannahsmoker has one of these rigs.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not interested in gadgets, that's why I ruled out the flue/fan gizmo, though I've read good things about them.
I guess to simplify my post I'm more interested in a constant heat source that can maintain 225 or so in a cold climate... without having to learn the art of Q'ing. I need something relatively simple that won't produce a fail the first attempt. If that can be had in my price range.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Head Chef

i love mine .. i just need to get off my butt and order a new control panel .. leaving it out in the rain without a cover is not good for them ...
Electric Digital Smoker
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Head Chef

also to simplify .. you can get an amaze n smoker for it .. where you can get smoke for 24 hours without adding wood ..
Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
i love mine .. i just need to get off my butt and order a new control panel .. leaving it out in the rain without a cover is not good for them ...
Electric Digital Smoker
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Do you get a nice smoke ring with this? Is it pretty simple to figure out and start your first smoke?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Head Chef

not a great smoke ring .. lots of smoke flavor though .. its super easy to use ..
and makes the best ribs ... only issue i have .. the temp only goes up to
275 .. but thats not even a issue ..
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm not interested in gadgets, that's why I ruled out the flue/fan gizmo, though I've read good things about them.
I guess to simplify my post I'm more interested in a constant heat source that can maintain 225 or so in a cold climate... without having to learn the art of Q'ing. I need something relatively simple that won't produce a fail the first attempt. If that can be had in my price range.
Komodo type cooker/grill will probably be as close to what your looking for, but they are generally not cheap. I paid $900.00 for my large BGE with nest (rolling stand). They make a small, but it is still around $400.00 to $500.00. There are other brands, but the price isn't much less. You still have to play with hardwood fuel and vents, but once set it will be rock steady, with great fuel economy.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks L2Q. I ordered one of the ones without the glass door It's analog vs digital. 180 bucks and free shipping. That'll work.

Tags
smoker