"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Side-mounted firebox

A couple days ago, I had to go to Lowe's to get something I needed for my Dremel. Just on a whim, I walked over to where I bought my grill last year. Guess what? They now carry the side-mounted firebox! YeeHAA!!!! I'm going to get it in a week or two, then I can smoke some really big items (I was previously using the offset smoking method). Heck, I could even do a couple small turkeys at once if I wanted to.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Master Chef

LOL, you sound like kid in a toy store!! Have fun when you get it!!

Old 05-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol... Home depot always gets Paulie in trouble too.... there's always ONE more thing he NEEDS.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'm considering one of those also Allen. I already have 2 smokers, one that I made from an old stainless steel swimming pool filter and one ECB water smoker. Both are a bit tempermental about temperature control, so I'm hoping the offset firebox will help. I also like the fact that you can use these as a regular charcoal grill, so it has more than one function. My Brinkman gas grill is great for a quick meal at the end of a long day, but I really miss the taste of a charcoal grilled steak or burger when I have time to start the coals. Does anyone on site have one of these grill/smokers or have used one in the past?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Here's the website for Char-Broil, the brand grill I have.

http://www.charbroil.com/consumerweb...rProducts.aspx

Apparently, they don't have my grill listed. I wonder if they discontinued it? I hope not, as the instruction manual I got with my grill had a small catalog to order replacement parts and accessories.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Allen, I have that same grill (awesome cast iron grates) I bought mine without the smoker box and later ordered it off the char-broil web site. I love it. I really love the fact that it is expandable so you don't have to buy it if you don't need it and you can always add it later. Great grill for anyone! P.S. Keep those grates VERY well oiled or they will rust
Old 05-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Actualy i have a chargrill, not the char broil. My neighbor has the char broil. They are both equally awesome, except i don't know if you have those fat cast iron grates
Old 05-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Master Chef

I have a Char-Griller too, & love it. (Here's their website: http://www.chargriller.com/grills.html).

I bought ours quite a few years ago as a Father's Day gift for my husband. Bought the outside firebox too, but believe it or not, haven't used it yet. Perhaps it's time to give it a try - lol!!!

You do have to love those thick cast-iron grates!! After all the use ours has gotten over the years, they're just as non-stick now as a well-seasoned cast-iron pan.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Master Chef

I LOVE the grills with the side-mounted firebox for smoking meats! I've used them several times at friend's houses .... unfortunately I can't have one here since I live in an apartment and our fire codes won't even let us have any kind of BBQ/Grill/Smoker within 20-feet of any building or overhanging structure (which includes tree limbs). The only clear spot I could put one is in a spot where we've been told we can't put one!

When I can find a house ... the one I really want has the firebox on one end, the grill in the middle, and a smokebox on the other end (about the size of the grill in the middle but mounted vertically).
Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Whoops! That's what I get for not double-checking before spouting off at the fingers. I actually have a Char-Griller, not a Char-Broil. I have the Super-Pro. I love that thing, and those cast-iron grates. I can't wait to get the firebox and smoke meats that way. Normally, I do the "off-set" method, and use two grates, on the left side, with a drip pan underneath that. Fire on the right side, near the air intake. Once I get the firebox, I'll be able to use the entire grill for smoking. I'll have enough room to do a couple briskets, or several racks of ribs, or a couple turkeys, or several chickens, or 6 - 8 pork butts. I could do even more, if I'd put something small up on the warming rack while I'm smoking.