Smoker DH is building

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow Connie that is a monster..Kim is going to have the time of his life using that baby.:LOL: He has really worked hard if he is building this one..

kades

Kadesma, he's making it for the son-in-law and his buddies at the volunteer fire department up the road, in the tiny farm town of St. Peter, Il. They cook for a lot of fairs and special events.

That is a wonderful thing he is doing Connie..What a nice guy..
kades:)

Sweeeeeeeettttttt!! I grew up in a small town in Iowa, and I remember our Fire Department had one of these for big events as well. But not nearly as nice as this one, it was much more simpler. They could grill on it or set up the griddle on it and do their pancake breakfast, that was about it.
So, very nice!

Out standing. If I was young man again I would have a Q rig just about what you have pictured. As a chef in fancy cclubs I did not get a chance to bbq very often but do love to bbq when ever I can. Now I am too old and busted up to do very much darn!!!!!

Kim and I are pretty old and busted up too, Dave. You gotta work with what ya got. Things just take a little longer than they used to.

Outstanding!

That is pretty much what I envisioned for our Club (Moose). They want something for direct heat grilling in stead of smoking so ours would have fire grates and ash doors.

For some reason they have been resistant, I hope because they can't 'see it' and not because of organizational inertia.

FWIW anhydrogenous ammonia tanks are very similar to if not the same as propane tanks. If someones thinking of doing this condemned propane tanks are available. Once you know how to inert them they are not a danger.

It's a long way from done, Dave. When Kim's done with the construction, our other son-in-law, who is an accomplished body man, will smooth it off and paint it. He's very good.
I'll be sure to send you pictures when it's finished.

It's a long way from done, Dave. When Kim's done with the construction, our other son-in-law, who is an accomplished body man, will smooth it off and paint it. He's very good.
I'll be sure to send you pictures when it's finished.

Smooth it and paint it?

I was thinking more of building a 'get her glowing hot' fire in the smoking chamber and burning out anything that may have permeated the metal.

I sort of cringed when I saw the tank already had a coat of white, I don't know what paint was used but most will start smelling when they get hot. And outgassing paint (and body filler) might not be the healthiest thing to have around the food.

I may be worrying about nothing, but if I were you/he I would give it a good, hard, way hot test run before taking it anywhere.

Tell your hubby that he'll live longer if he stays busy. But it should be something he likes to do...after all, one should enjoy retirement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom