Spiders and flash fires in gas grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't care what it tastes like...nonononononononononono!

Oh shoot, now you got me curious, PF. I'll have to wait for someone to grill a big snake. We have a lot of baby garter and milk snakes, I wouldn't hurt them, they're so cute.

Last edited:
A couple years ago we pulled the cover off the grill to kick off the season. DH didn't think anything about it since it was stored outside and our deep winter typically kills everything. Wrong. It was dark by time burgers were ready and he gets a little light from our kitchen so he just took the plate out, opened the grill and threw everything on. As we were eating, I kept finding these little hairs on the meat and since we have a cat and dog, I thought it was kind of weird but really I didn't think anything of it. About 1/4 of the way, though, DH got a really funky bite and we stopped eating. We got a flashlight and when we opened the grill to inspect, we found a rather large mouse nest and the charred remains of a little family. It's the only time I've lost my stomach over something gross. Needless to say, we check the grill every spring now.

A couple years ago we pulled the cover off the grill to kick off the season. DH didn't think anything about it since it was stored outside and our deep winter typically kills everything. Wrong. It was dark by time burgers were ready and he gets a little light from our kitchen so he just took the plate out, opened the grill and threw everything on. As we were eating, I kept finding these little hairs on the meat and since we have a cat and dog, I thought it was kind of weird but really I didn't think anything of it. About 1/4 of the way, though, DH got a really funky bite and we stopped eating. We got a flashlight and when we opened the grill to inspect, we found a rather large mouse nest and the charred remains of a little family. It's the only time I've lost my stomach over something gross. Needless to say, we check the grill every spring now.
ewww, I would probably have lost my supper too. Then I would start to feel guilty about the poor, little mice.

Gah! Great story and good advice, JMediger!

Last edited:
I saw a mouse one time crawling from the grate to the bottom when I opened the grill. I'm surprised I haven't seen more.

Reminds me of a joke about a cowboy sitting at the counter of a greasy spoon, staring at his bowl of chili. Another customer comes in
and sits down beside the cowboy. He looks at the cowboy, then at the bowl. He asks the cowboy if the chili is any good.
The cowboy motions to the bowl in front of him and says "Help yourself."
The guy takes the bowl of chili and commences to eat heartily.
After a few spoonfuls, the guy discovers a mouse in the bowl of chili and he immediately loses his lunch right back in the chili bowl.
The cowboy says, "Yep, that's as far as I got, too."

Reminds me of a joke about a cowboy sitting at the counter of a greasy spoon, staring at his bowl of chili. Another customer comes in
and sits down beside the cowboy. He looks at the cowboy, then at the bowl. He asks the cowboy if the chili is any good.
The cowboy motions to the bowl in front of him and says "Help yourself."
The guy takes the bowl of chili and commences to eat heartily.
After a few spoonfuls, the guy discovers a mouse in the bowl of chili and he immediately loses his lunch right back in the chili bowl.
The cowboy says, "Yep, that's as far as I got, too."

ROFL!!!

Back
Top Bottom