Spiders and flash fires in gas grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
The Safety & Care Manual for my new grill says that spiders and insects might build nests inside the burners and this is the main cause of flash fires. It says to check every time before igniting the grill.

That sounds like overkill to me. Maybe they should be checked once in a while.

How do you guys deal with this possibility? Have any of you ever found spider or insect nests inside the grill burners or tubes?

If you use it daily, you should be fine. Even weekly.

I think it's more for the once a year users.

Do you ever check for them? I know you use your grill rather regularly, so I suspect they don't have time to build much of a nest before you use it again.

No, I never check. My older grill had screening to block access by the little critters. I'm guessing my current grill does as well.

Interesting. I never heard that the nests could cause a flash fire. I thought they would just stop the gas from getting through, in which case you would stop trying to light the grill, turn the burner off and investigate.

never had an issue, but I can't think of a better way to take care of the problem, then lighting the grill....

I don't check for spiders, but if I haven't used the grill in a while, I open it carefully--paper wasps like to build inside.
Oh, I'll be careful about the lid after any extended non-use. Thanks for the warning. I once had a large wasp nest under a patio chair when we took the tarp off after winter. I got stung at least 12 times. :ohmy:

I've got a couple plastic storage closets outside and the hornets like to build their nest right where you put you hand to open the door. Better than a spider though.

Never had the flash fire from spider problem. Mine has a little guard that is supposed to prevent that. One time after not using it most of the winter it would not light. So when we looked, the little guard was completely wrapped in spider web. Don't let all these things distract you from enjoying your new grill .. and use it enough that those critters won't want to stop by !

Here's a whole platter, enjoy!

image-431304322.jpg

Well now, if the snake is of any decent size, they are mighty good grilled.
'Course, nobody here will eat snake but me. :LOL:

Well, Hoot, if you cut me off a tiny piece and didn't tell me what it was, I would probably try it.

Back
Top Bottom